C7 in CA

ProVideo CVC-150

Is anyone familiar with the ProVideo CVC-150 B/W box camera?

I am mostly curious as to what the resolution of the camera is. The camera is a gonner. I fixed an extreme horizontal roll issue with a new power supply, But that was a short lived solution. Now the picture goes black after the camera gets warm.

Anyway, I gave them a color bullet cam I had laying around as a loaner. They love it! Resolution is way better then any of the cams they have now. But I told them to hold off final judgement until they watch it throughout the day. I don't really know how well it will perform next to the AI cams.

If all is good I guess I could just sell them the bullet, But I really want to give them a quote on some high rez box cameras, (maybe some ganz?) but would like to know what resolution their CVC-150's are for discussions sake.

Never used their Box cameras, kind of like using COP USA cams ..

anyway, the 150 I dont see, just this:

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=275

420TVL ...

Dont know how much this Provideo cam is, but I only buy their Bullet cameras really, a color box from a name brand like GE, Sanyo, Ganz, Bosch, etc, are all around the same price, and worth it for better quality.

Thanks Rory. That looks just like it. But the 150 threaded mount is centered and this one here has a ProVideo CVC-150 sticker on the smooth strip on the side.

Is 420TVL pretty decent resolution for a B/W? If I had to guess I would say this one looks like 380 tops. But what do I know? I'm just a noobie...

Will cameras just fuzz out after a while? And yes, I tried focusing the lens!

Edited by Guest

They can go bad, plus it IS a very cheap OEM camera ... did you try a different lens?

by the way, the 150 doesnt exist, unless it is a very new camera not yet on their site or catalog, or a very old one, before 4 years ago .. as its not in my old price list?? There is a CVC-190 that is fairly new though, sure it isnt that?

420TVL is okay, but 570-600TVL is high res for BW cameras. ..

Appearently they are older then 5 years. The Manager I talked with had been there 5 years and no cameras had been replaced/added according to her.

I will look for something in the 570 range then. I would like to see them with a couple of good cameras on the registers at least. But it will be a hard sell now because they are very happy with the quality of the cheaper bullet.

I was talking to them about upgrading that VCR too. She showed me how it took all day to find a shot of who knows who doing who knows what.

Edited by Guest

bullet, dome or BOX camera, and in BW or Color, Low Light or Standard??

They have 3 of the 150's inside. 2 on registers and 1 up high over looking the majority of the store. Then 2 B/W's outdoors in inclosures overlooking the parking lot. I have no idea what cameras are outside but one of them has a decent image.

I would like to see them at least replace the register cameras with some hi rez B/W box cams. One with a 12mm lens. The other camera should really be moved for a better angle but that would require an even longer focal length.

the price difference between a BW box camera and a color box camera is very small these days, in the high quality camera brands. You may want to consider that as an option also.

Ok, Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. They have a pretty nice B/W monitor now. But I'll ask if they are interested in color... Now or in the future.

You can get a pretty good (actually very good) image off a Flat Panel Tv these days also, if they cant spend for the monitor. We use more TVs now than anything, with the shipping and customs costs of the CCTV monitors. I can get a 13" TV here for $99 for the 4 channels its perfect, or the Flat Panels for $200-250, otherwise the monitors will sell locally for around $500-600 for a 15" or $800-1000 for a 21" ..!!

Ofcourse in the US its a different story ...its cheaper ..

Id say look at the Ganz, Sanyo, GE or Bosch ... there are others but these are what I know ..if you want to point it at the door, a wide dynamic like the Ganz, Pano, Sany or Bosch, the Ge one isnt that great from experience but you could try it if you wanted. Otherwise Dome cameras indoor, the ganz has a great priced High Res AI with VF lens 3-9mm. The Sanyo I know for sure has some good backfocus in some of its cameras, which can get you away from the Wide Dynamic and save some money; they have multi zone and centered back focus.

Short of that make sure get a color camera that has an IR cut Filter in it, even some OEM cheap cameras have this.

If they stil want BW then if they have money, the GE EXview is not expensive, or the Sanyo BW low Light also, if they dont have money then look at the Provideo BW CVC-325WPS Bullet camera, it has lasted me 4 years on several jobs even on the ocean. Its the BW camera in my i-view demo.

Alot of OEM BW cameras will work also, its just trial and error finding one that is really good. Ive used a cheaper version of the Provideo BW Bullet and got bad quality off it, so thats why I only sell this version as a BW Bullet alternative. Ive also used an OEM Exview BW cam from a distributor in Miami, saw in very low light but quality is not great overall. Price was very low though, but I chose to stick to the Provideo CVC-325 for overall quality and price. There can be a tradeoff for what they want to achieve. From the same Miami Distributor I have their cheapest Color bullet on my demo also, and it looks great for the price, daytime at least, it has to have an IR Cut Filter to produce the true colors it does.

Also, I have had very good luck with the GE KTC-840CE Box Color Exview Camera, with Fujinon Lenses, indoors and outdoors. If you need images let me know.

Ive also seen the Toshiba in action and they seem to work as well as the Sanyos, they looked very good.

Rory