rory

Anyone used Geovision IP cameras?

Are they any good?

Got a client with Geo systems just wants to add a couple cameras, was considering them as there is no extra dongle or per channel cost needed and can use the existing system, which is already maxed out on the DVR card. Its just for a car park with good lighting at night.

I guess for the mounting location it will have to be the box cameras in a housing .. not sure whether I would need the Day night or just the color at this point .. i think they have large car park lights though so its lit up really well, current color only cctv cameras work fine there is so much light, but they are on the sides of the building.

Using the Geos will mean be able to use one of the existing DVRs, and as far as I know should be able to use Geo IP cameras at no extra expense, I think. They have 3 x 16 channel Geo DVRs in Dell Towers .. taking up alot of room in their racks (not me!), along with other computers .. so they want to cut down on what they add there. I actually could fit a 4U rack DVR in there ... but this might still be a better solution since it is only maybe 4 cameras for now. Right now I dont know whether it is a cheaper solution though .. as it is right now I have to get them some good power supplies and redo the mess that is there already, and redo ALL the connectors .. they come off when you just knock them .. its a nightmare, gives twist ons a bad name LOL .. really they were just never put on properly .. some dont even have any braid just a long long center. Maybe for this nightmare I might actually go compression

One thing I do notice is the Geo's claim 1.3 Megapixel but its only 700TVL .. I thought that should be 1280x1024?

hmmm... well "their" IP box cams look like panny's to me. i wonder if a non-rebranded's (did i just make up a new word?) protocol would work without buying a license??? probably could get cheaper...

i would really be interested in finding out though... i have some liquor stores coming up that have geo at a few sites. not looking forward to having to figure ANOTHER dvr out!

I know someone that has used the Geo Ip cameras but I dont know them that well .. in fact they are the ones Ive had to clean up a couple jobs on .. mostly bad BNC and power supply connections .. they no longer do any CCTV by the way .. so not sure if I can ask them or not. . they own another business where the Geo's are located .. guess I could always walk in and ask them whats up .. I would rather get info from people that are in the biz though and have maybe used the Geos and other IP cameras .. as the extra per channel for say an Arcont, Axis, or Acti is not that much .. but seeing as it is Geo it would make sense to keep it the same, just in case .. takes 1-3 weeks just to get the product down here so if it didnt work then .. arghh. Well as long as their cameras are any good ofcourse .. they arent that cheap!

Specs look good but then we know how that goes ...