We are trying to extend our DVR-based security system - 6 cameras. We have 2 'tie-lines' (no power/no dial tone) to the area and want to add 2 outdoor cameras to monitor the area - a vehicle storage lot. The lot is about 1 mile from the monitoring station.

Other cameras currently on the system are older (5+ years) and use what appears to be a 'powered-balun' to connect the cameras to the phone lines and another powered-balun to go from the phone line to the DVR.

1. Is the 'powered-balun' the best way to proceed?

2. Do we need a dedicated tie-line for each camera (not PTZ) - each line is $25/month?

3. Is there a better way - short of building a system from scratch?

Thanks.

The baluns are the best way to go. an alternative if you are thinking about IP is to use a network extender to in effect create a DSL link to the remote location. One pair is all that is necessary but I have seen units that use two pair for more bandwith. This works without dial tone on the lines.

Umm, so... are these just direct wires between sites, or are they going through a switching station (telco)? If the former, $25/mo seems a little... well frankly, like a rip-off.

If that's the case, though, they're probably not using just baluns, but some specialized hardware for that purpose. If that's the case, going to a DSL link would allow you to add more cameras over a single connection.

Umm, so... are these just direct wires between sites, or are they going through a switching station (telco)? If the former, $25/mo seems a little... well frankly, like a rip-off.

If that's the case, though, they're probably not using just baluns, but some specialized hardware for that purpose. If that's the case, going to a DSL link would allow you to add more cameras over a single connection.

It may be a ripoff - but the lines are supplied by the phone company - nothing I can do.

To 'create' a DSL link, I would have to invest in a bunch of stuff not here today. And, I would probably have to get you here to help

It is not too tough to create the DSL link look at Patton Ind and PI MFG both have the devices. You simply hook a pair of wires to one end plug in patch cord and connect to your network power up and repeat at of the other end.