psprigs

ir illuminator questions

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but im sure someone's going to enlighten me.

I have a Bosch ltc0610/11 box camera with a 8.5-50mm lens, also a ltc0455/11 box camera, a normal 480tvl internal dome

, bosch ltc1464/11 dome all without builtin IR.

I have a cheap low res £20 dome with IR 10 led's, a 520tvl res dome with 20odd led's, the higher res has a better pic of course...

I also have 4x derwent uniflood 20's running full power.... and a few £5 12v 40led's illuminators from ebay, both at 850nm.

My question is, when i put any illuminators next to any of the non-ir cameras, they dont do virtually anything, cant see any

better at all, so i thought that the illuminators i have were faulty... so i bought dif psu's etc, more lights, anything to

make it better... but no joy...

Then i put the IR's next too any of the cameras with builtin IR's and apart from narrow angles, it lights up like christmas!

So there way nothing wrong with the illuminators in the end...

So why is this? ive played with all the settings on the bosch cameras.. and the ones with builtin IR's dont have any menus..

So then i wonder wether other people have the same type issues and when you see big box cameras with big external IR's wether

the illumination is any good? Or where am i going wrong?

Thanks

I dont know those cameras, but most likely they are color only cameras and have a fixed IR cut filter, meaning they wont see the IR.

I dont know those cameras, but most likely they are color only cameras and have a fixed IR cut filter, meaning they wont see the IR.

exactly

^What they said.

Normal color cameras have filters to block infrared light, because it can throw off the color balance and cause other issues under standard lighting. Cheap IR cameras have no filter and tend to be either strictly B&W, or try to compensate electronically for the color balance. Good day/night cameras will mechanically flip the filter out of the way and switch to B&W when the go to "night" mode.

The other posters are correct. Your cameras are day-only cams, and have an IR filter in place. They have trouble properly rendering color without that filter.

You'll probably find that your cameras can see a TINY bit of light if you point them directly at the IR sources (those filters are not 100% efficient), but it won't be what you're wanting.

Go true day-night with an ICR (IR-cut filter), or B&W only.