todd2

Tinted Enclosure

Using a low lux (.003 lux) B&W camera, I'm experimenting with tinted

enclosures. In some cases, I'm applying tint to standard glass myself.

In a brightly lit room, a limo tint (5% VLT) level seems OK. I assume

this would be OK in daylight down to some level of dusk.

What level of tint is usually used to obscure the camera position but

still let enough light in?

I'd hoped to learn from the experience of others here, rather than go through the trouble

of installing something that won't work (because the tint level blocks too much light).

Isn't that the point of this forum, to share knowledge? What's the point of telling

me to go try something myself? If I were new to flying R/C aircraft for example,

and wanted to start with a fast aerobatic stunt plane, would you tell me to

go try it rather than provide guidance to start with something easier to handle?

LOL

My point is, you've already gone this far with your own testing. How hard is it to turn off the lights? No one said you should install anything.

I would be interested to see the results too.

You went through the trouble of builing the RC plane. She's gased up and ready to go. What's stopping you from putting the batteries in the remote control???

I don't know that there is a "standard" level of tint that's used... I've never personally tinted a housing myself, and I don't know anyone else who has. The tinted/smoked domes I've used all came from the factory that way and are all varying levels of darkness.

A couple things to keep in mind:

The human eye's response to light is non-linear so while the difference between a light and dark room may not seem as extreme to you, it may be so to the camera. Likewise a dark tint may have a more extreme effect on the camera's sensitivity than it does just to you looking through it.

When you're trying to hide the camera in the housing, remember that the tint works BOTH ways - it's both reducing the amount of light that enters the enclosure and illuminates the camera itself, and it's reducing the reflected light off the camera, which is what you actually see when you're looking at it (sorry for the uber-basic physics lesson, just making sure everything is in perspective). So you don't need tint that's as dark just to hide the camera.

Moving the camera further back in the enclosure will reduce its visibility as well.

And of course, you could paint the camera black (ideally a flat, satin or semi-gloss black) to further reduce its visibility.

Using a low lux (.003 lux) B&W camera, I'm experimenting with tinted

enclosures. In some cases, I'm applying tint to standard glass myself.

In a brightly lit room, a limo tint (5% VLT) level seems OK. I assume

this would be OK in daylight down to some level of dusk.

What level of tint is usually used to obscure the camera position but

still let enough light in?

much easier to use mirror effect you dont need to tint. we make are own gold mirror or standard mirror dome covers

129272_1.gif