torbenc

How to avoid Burn-in

Hi

Im running a Geovision system, with up to 16 cameras.

Right now I only have 4 camera's active, and viewing it in 4 view-mode.

To avoid a burn-in on the screen, would I like to change the 4 cameras around in the 4 fielts.

Is that possible?

Thanks

LCD's don't really suffer from burn-in like CRT's where the phosphors were actually broken down. They can suffer from what's called persistence where the LCD's have a memory of their state in a display that doesn't change.

Fortunately, this isn't permanent and can be avoided. Using a screen saver that rotates around the whole display area, set your power saver to turn off the display every 2 hours when not used and the easiest is to just turn off the display unless you're monitoring 24/7.

If the persistence problem does occur though, you can just set your display to a solid color and leave it that way for an extended period. This will reset the LCD to a single color and erase any image persistence.

There is no problem right now, but I thought it could be.

A screensaver is no good, since the display is for customers (so they can see that we have surveillance)

That's also why I would like to toogle through all active cameras.

Even toggling through the cameras wouldn't prevent burn-in (if you were on a display that COULD suffer burn-in), as the only thing changing is the contents of the camera frames. The frames around them and the rest of the interface would still burn significantly.

I usually have the computer auto reboot everyday (using the program from Geovision). This will refresh the computer as well as the monitor.

That would have no effect on burn-in - the monitor would still be displaying the same frame and controls 23 hours and 55 minutes out of the day.

Like Harrar says, burn-in doesn't happen with LCDs, and persistence is rare.

In either case though, a simple daily reboot doesn't fix or prevent the problem; a static image is still being displayed for all but a couple of minutes of the day.