sheriffa

Security system Upgrade

I have a facility and I need to upgrade my system from a Specco DVR to a PC system. I know I need to convert my analog cameras to IP but I'm not sure what products will work.

I also need some recommendations on software. I want to trial the system before I go and spend money on the whole thing.

Can anyone recommend a specific PCI card that will work?

I have 16 analog cameras and the system needs to be expandable, thank you in advance.

PCI card has nothing to do with IP cameras

Please specify - you want to upgrade standalone DVR to PC-based DVR or you want (need? why?) to upgrade the whole present analog system to a digital (IP) one?

I want to upgrade the DVR to a PC based device. The cameras currently feed into the Specco DVR with BNC type connector.

Then all you need is a DVR card for the PC - it will provide the same BNC inputs. Or get a turnkey PC-based DVR; same idea.

Question: how have you determined that you "need" to go a PC-based system? I'm a fan of PC over standalone, personally, so I'm more than happy to say go for it, but I'm curious as to how you arrived at this requirement over, say, a beefier standalone system?

Thanks for the info, could you recommend any that are inexpensive and easy to get?

What about software, I want to trial the system before I deploy it.

thank you in advance

I decided to go with a PC system for three reasons.

1. The specco system in 3 years has needed to be replaced twice.

2. The users don't know how to use this system but they are PC savy.

3. I'm a software engineer and I could trouble shoot the system myself in the future.

Good reasoning 129644_1.gif Personally, I like that PC DVRs do tend to be easier to work on, it's a more familiar environment for most users, and it's generally a LOT easier to add more space if you need it - internal drives, external USB/Firewire/eSATA drives, external RAID arrays, etc.

The PC-based systems I'm most familiar with are GeoVision, Capture, Video Insight, and Vigil. Of those, GeoVision is the only one I know of that will currently sell you the card and software - Capture uses proprietary hardware and only sells complete systems; Vigil doesn't use "proprietary" hardware per se but also only sells complete systems; and Video Insight USED to sell analog/hybrid systems but AFAIK has recently gone all-IP.

Personally, I don't like GeoVision mainly because I find the interface and configuration clunky, and from reading here it sounds like there can be a lot of confusion over what versions of the software are compatible with which versions of the software... but it's a very popular system and you may find it suitable for your needs and budget.

Outside of that, we're a distributor for Vigil systems, and I could hook you up with something there, although I don't know if it's particularly what you'd consider "cheap" compared to most standalone systems. However, you take a look at http://www.3xlogic.com if you want, browse the offerings, and PM me if you have any questions about the systems.

Thanks Soundy,

So all i really need is a Video Capture card and GeoVision apparently comes with the software so that makes me happy. I was looking at the two (800/1480) and aside from the price what is the main difference between them?

I need to be able to record of all 16 cameras at the same time

Thanks Soundy,

So all i really need is a Video Capture card and GeoVision apparently comes with the software so that makes me happy. I was looking at the two (800/1480) and aside from the price what is the main difference between them?

I need to be able to record of all 16 cameras at the same time

Hi sheriffa. at the moment i would look at other systems than geovision till they get there act together. other problems they have is they want to charge you money for everything ip camera licence (not cheap)

i would look at hybrid systems. as you already have 16 cameras and add ip cameras as and when. you can buy cards or buy a dvr/nvr. i buy already built from aver. buy the time you have bought the cards and H/D more ram sound cards vga cards it works out about the same as buying already made up (plus warranty)

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=76

I'm with Soundy... PC-based systems are the way to go... particularly if you're facile with basic PC construction.

It's not that hard.

I'm with Soundy... PC-based systems are the way to go... particularly if you're facile with basic PC construction.

It's not that hard.

Hi the system i have posted is pc

It's not that hard.

Hi the system i have posted is pc

I know...

Just reiterating the point.

Well, you really have two options...

You can go with cheap generic eBay cards, which may or may not be "legitimate", may or may not come with software, may or may not come with DECENT software, and probably won't come with support...

Or you go with hardware/software BUNDLES such as Video Insight or GeoVision, in which case the card is usually "branded" to the software manufacturer.

In most cases, the legitimate software is "locked" to only work on legitimate cards offered by that manufacturer... for example, Vigil and Video Insight use cards that are virtually identical, hardware wise (same chipsets, same design/layout, etc.), but Video Insight's software will only recognize cards that are "branded" for them. Vigil software, on the other hand, will recognize and use Video Insight's cards (I can unplug a Vigil card and drop in the corresponding VI card and Vigil just carries on as if nothing has changed)... however, you can't buy DIY Vigil hardware/software bundles; they only sell complete systems.

Could you guys recommend some specific models for video capture cards?

Thanks again

I've actually used a Nuuo encoder card for a system... worked pretty well, and came with software.

Go with a Geovision PC based system, it blows the rest away, just cant beat it.