Hi all. I just installed my new camera. Below you can see the night time screen captures and below that the daytime capture.

The white bar going across the night capture in live mode moves up and down. Even with the flood light on it becomes a tad more clear and you can make out the car in the driveway, but the white bar still moves.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have the camera hooked up with power over cat5

The camera is a Q-see QSDS1316D 16mm Camera

130338_1.jpg

130338_2.jpg

Well the first red flag is the QSee brand. These are largely considered child's toys in the professional CCTV market. I can say this from personal experience, as I've tested nearly all of their cameras.

But, I suppose there are a couple things to check.

The first question is, how the the video connected and ran. You mentioned the power, but nothing of the video. Are you using video baluns and running the video in the same jacket as the CAT5?

The other thing to check is to make sure you have not run your video cable parallel to or near high voltage lines and/ or equipment.

I am running video/power over the cat5e through video Baluns. Somewhere in the neighborhood of less then 50 feet of cat5e.

I only bought one camera from them to test it out. I did buy a Q-See DVR as well 4channel. Put my own HD in it.

I am going to check if it is run near some voltage wire or equipment, but I don't believe it is.

What camera brands are recommended? My next camera for the driveway is a varifocal.

The other cameras I am looking into buying are for the front and back door outside of house.

I was looking at the monoprice cameras as well.

Features:

- Sony 1/3" super HAD high resolution color CCD

- 600TVL high resolution

- 2.8 ~ 11mm vari-focal DC auto iris F1.2 day & night lens (3.8 ~ 9.5mm F1.2 optional)

- Built-in DNR, sens-up, d-zoom, OSD function

- Auto switching IR LED control

- Externally adjustable focal length & focus

- Built-in service monitor & OSD control port

- Cable management bracket

- Waterproof housing (IP-66)

- Power: AC24V/DC12V

I congratulate you for buying only one camera at a time to test! This is definitely the smartest way to do it! I always tell people the only thing worse than a crappy camera, is a box full of crappy cameras.

CNB Monalisas are a very popular camera on this forum. Pretty good for the price, I've personally installed quite a few. However, I've been turned onto some off brand cameras made in Korea that are simply amazing. Much better than CNB IMO.

From what I understand the Monoprice camera also is made in Korea. I am debating on giving it a shot. Going to check the wiring on my Q-See when I get home, but if it was the wiring then wouldn't I have the problem during the day as well?

From what I understand the Monoprice camera also is made in Korea. I am debating on giving it a shot. Going to check the wiring on my Q-See when I get home, but if it was the wiring then wouldn't I have the problem during the day as well?

Hi wiggum. can you tell use what size power supply you have volts and amps. also at night can you see the ir glowing on your camera. in your photo it looks like it is not on at all. and also i would run a coax to the camera and use your cat5 for power as it is a short run and this will take away the baluns just in case they are faulty. (remember some cheap baluns are just connectors)

I looked at the ones you mentioned on monoprice, they look decent. Can't vouch for them though I've never tested them. Mine look to be a little better though...Let us know how they do!

Also, how many wires are you using for power? IR cameras require a lot of current. Use all availible wiring.

Could also be a power supply issue. How are you powering the camera? How many amps is the PSU rated for? It could be struggling to keep up when the IRs kick on. Do you have a volt meter to test and see under a load? (IRs on)

12v 1amp. I tested the Camera before I put it up and I could have sworn I could see the IR glowing. Will check again tonight.

Maybe I will try that with the cat 5 just for power. Never thought of that. The next run over the garage will be about 5 feet longer and the front and back doors will be about half the length.

Also I have the power plugged into a surge protector. I actually think it may be 2 surge protecter's. Could this cause any issues?

What brand are the new Korea built ones you are using?

I get them cheap before they are branded

What I mean by using all availible wires... You've got got 4 pairs availible in CAT5. Obviously you're using just 1 pair for video. The other 3 need to be dedicated to power. If you're only using a single pair for power, then this is probably your problem. 24awg at any length is not suffecient for the current an IR camera would draw. That's why you double up pairs, and split the last one. Make sense?

Yes I understand. So maybe I can try running the power directly from the camera to an outlet to see if that fixes it. It is inside the garage so easy to get to then I can double up the power.

Ok I changed the power to direct into outlet for now and only have the video through the Cat5e. When it gets dark I am going to check it out.

Well so far so good. It looks much better. Still has a tad bit of noise but livable for the moment (Could be the extension cord.) My stupid motion sensor flood light is on when I took the picture below, but even with the floodlight off it looked a lot better. I grabbed this capture through the internet viewing program.

I'm thinking of getting a power distribution block for the power to centralize it all and make it more neat.

130380_1.jpg

speaking of my floodlight, anyone know of any good brands? the one I have stinks.

Here is the internet capture with the floodlight off

130380_2.jpg