johnkelly

CCTV video magnifier for legally blind person

I have a friend who is legally blind (~ 85% vision disabled). He and his wife have tried to obtain a CCTV video magnifier so that he may read books, letters, etc. but the price is way outside their budget (these things run $4k+) and insurance won't cover one. Something similar to this: http://63.240.118.132/images/video%20magnifier.jpg is what would be used.

Now I'm a lay person with some technical skills (electronics assembly, etc), but it seems to my that a system such as this consists of four major components: 1) CCTV camera, 2) Monitor, 3) Light Source, and 4) Base/Monitor Arm. To my way of thinking such a system could be assembled for under $1000.

I am seeking advice on what type of camera system would be best suitable for this type of application. Color, auto-focus would be required and also probably a camera with auto-white balance and the ability to adjust brightness and contract if reading at night.

My plan is to purchase a camera (cost unknown), an LCD panel monitor (around $200), base/arm assembly (old overhead projector found cheap somewhere), and a light source (LED so they won't have to replace bulbs plus it's nice and white for reading). Attach camera to base/arm assembly, attach monitor and light and while it may not be pretty it will work.

Any suggestions or ideas?

What you need is a document camera. I wouldn't bother trying to make a CCTV camera work for what you're trying to do. They are not designed for objects up close. Plus a document camera will come with everything you need like the lights and stand.

Avermedia makes them, check them out at Avermedia.com