nancyh1980

DVR upgrade advice needed

Since my grandma is now my summer employment agent , I just got recruited for another project. Again, I turn to you guys for direction. Another one of Grand’s friends. For his business, he has a decent system. (8) dedicated Micros HyperD camera attached to a watchdog Vmax8.

http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/europe/products_details.php?product_assoc_id=305&product_id=193

http://www.dwcc.tv/productsDVRS.asp?showme=Stand Aloneshowcat=yes&showitem=yes&rid=83

His rack fell and crushed the DVR. One of the few user that actually put his DVR to full use. He watches everyday and also remote via free DDNS from his house. He wants to purchase another Digital Watchdog. The group that installed the system has not returned his calls for 2 weeks. So now his son is involved and tell him the following (2) are far superior. From the spec, worth the huge price difference?

http://www.dwcc.tv/productsDVRS.asp?showme=Stand Alone&showcat=yes&showitem=yes&rid=81

http://www.dwcc.tv/productsDVRS.asp?showme=Stand Alone&showcat=yes&showitem=yes&rid=55

Thanks for yall help.

I'm not familiar with Digital Watchdog... I've looked into DM but still don't understand why they are so expensive.

I've installed/ worked on a lot of DVRs from all kinds of manufactures in my day... I'd say Avermedia gives the best bang for the buck.

During my installation days. the DM was the economical subsitute to Pelco and Kalatel. I must have installed over 1000s cameras in the school district. Granted, their color is not as good as Pelco, they are BBS (better built shi_). According to my ex boyfriend, for the past 6 years, he has to replace about 20 or so cameras. All due to Ike. He has their fire/burglary accounts so he sees them every year for the fire inspection.

Does the Avermedial NVR has bandwith limitation?

What do you mean limited by bandwidth? That's more of a NIC, network, and ISP question... I believe most of their standalone NVRs are coming with gigabit NICs these days...

Not often one would need it though.... Most of the time the unit runs out of other resources before bandwidth is even a question. On standalones that is...

During my installation days. the DM was the economical subsitute to Pelco and Kalatel.

When was that? DM has always cost alot more then kaletel/ge dvrs since ive been in the biz.

There are alot better DVRs then all of those now anyway, coming out of Korea, and for alot less cost.

During my installation days. the DM was the economical subsitute to Pelco and Kalatel.

When was that? DM has always cost alot more then kaletel/ge dvrs since ive been in the biz.

There are alot better DVRs then all of those now anyway, coming out of Korea, and for alot less cost.

$ wise, DM DVRs have never been more than Kalatel/GE Symdec DVRs. I was nervous having $40K of dvrs ($8K/piece for Symdec 16-chan - dealer cost).

BTW, we were talking about the analog cameras, not DVRs. GE top of the line cameras are far more expensive than the top of the line DMs.

$ wise, DM DVRs have never been more than Kalatel/GE Symdec DVRs. I was nervous having $40K of dvrs ($8K/piece for Symdec 16-chan - dealer cost).

BTW, we were talking about the analog cameras, not DVRs. GE top of the line cameras are far more expensive than the top of the line DMs.

I was buying and using Kalatel DVRs from the early 2000's and also saw the prices of the equivalent DMs which always came in several hundreds of $$ more. The distributors were always trying to push the DMs on us yet the Kalatels were better and lower cost. Im not talking about Symdec, im talking StoreSafe and DVMRe even the Muxes with DSRs, and comparitable DM DVRs, I imagine that was way before Symdec were introduced. Most likely the DMs were more expensive due to them being imported from the UK. Not to mention the DMs that I did use were not as good as the Kalatel units, I was no fan of the DM's OS, buggy at best, replaced alot of them for that same reason - I believe their OS was on the HDD? At one time it was pretty much only kalatel and DM .. with Kalatel way ahead. I started when they were still doing phone line transmission. As for DM cameras, I recall when they first started to sell them, just rebadged chinese cameras AFAIK, so obviously would be cheaper. GE later went that same route with bullet cameras, overpriced though in their case. Even their "top of the line" cameras went down in price, and quality. IMO neither are a real player anymore, nor have been for a few years.