jackdf

IP Camera Network Boosters

Hello everyone,

I have a large installation to do of 12 IP cameras for a hotel complex, the wireless signal must travel a long distance to reach the DVR, my question is as follows:

-Once the cameras are fitted, how will the wireless signal reach the DVR recording devices? as the signal must travel over 100m, I guess network boosters will be needed?

-Can anyone recomend network boosters that will do the job?

-How will the wireless signal reach the DVR?

Thanks a lot!

What is the DVR model number? Why do you want to use wireless? I would never recommend wireless for a setup like this. Wire everything or the title of your next thread will be "why don't my wireless cameras work"

Edited by Guest

wire everything or the title of your next thread will be "why don't my wireless cameras work"

I love this forum " title="Applause" />

Jack,

The problem with WiFi is that it will go 100m if you have line of sight. If you put impossible obsticles in the way, like walls, you may be lucky to traverse 2 walls and get adequate bandwidth, regardless of distance. You can amplify the signal to your hearts content, but it's not going to make a huge difference in the number of walls in can traverse.

What you can do is setup repeaters and the camera should pickup the closest repeater. I've setup repeaters using DD-WRT software on common routers like Linksys WRT54 and many can be purchased on eBay for pretty cheap. You have to configure the router as a repeater and put one in between each set of walls between the camera and recording device. This creates sort of a WiFi grid.

BUT, the best way is hardwired, like thewireguy says.

Jack,

The problem with WiFi is that it will go 100m if you have line of sight. If you put impossible obsticles in the way, like walls, you may be lucky to traverse 2 walls and get adequate bandwidth, regardless of distance. You can amplify the signal to your hearts content, but it's not going to make a huge difference in the number of walls in can traverse.

What you can do is setup repeaters and the camera should pickup the closest repeater. I've setup repeaters using DD-WRT software on common routers like Linksys WRT54 and many can be purchased on eBay for pretty cheap. You have to configure the router as a repeater and put one in between each set of walls between the camera and recording device. This creates sort of a WiFi grid.

BUT, the best way is hardwired, like thewireguy says.

This is fine if your playing around at your house but never sell something like this to a customer. This will never work correctly and the customer will be very unhappy. Yes there are wireless systems that can do this but you will spend way more for the product then you would to wire the system.

Aside from bandwidth issues, I also would not trust the security of wireless networks for a commercial application. Sure WPA2 is more secure than WEP, but just about anything can be hacked these days (and even if it's not hacked, it just takes a simple router setting glitch or operator mistake to open up your entire network). If you have the option, install a dedicated gigabit network to handle that many IP cameras.

Would a power line network adapter work in that hotel, could be an option over wireless.....

I wouldn't think powerline adapters would work well in a large building like that, but most hotels will have cable and phoneline to each room.

DSL-type extenders(phoneline), or coax-Ethernet adapters (cable TV cable), would get you from the central wiring hub, (where you could place the NVR) to the closest room to each camera, and hard-wire the camera from there.

Those adapters also work to allow you to retrofit the hotel with Internet capability to individual rooms, too.