nancyh1980

Mobotix gurus, please help the dumb one

In effort trying to learn IP cameras, Mobotix and couple other brands interest me. Several questions:

M12 - What is the difference between SEC and SEC-Dnight model? With the former, below lux threshold, they are useless.

D12 - On same level, why D22 and N22 lens?

What is LPF? Example?

R16 models - no SD but 16GB internal?

What type of SD cards work best - Class 2, class 4, class 6?

Will any NAS do? or there is tested and preferred brand?

Thanks

M12 - What is the difference between SEC and SEC-Dnight model? With the former, below lux threshold, they are useless.

The camera can be setup with a day and a night sensor/lens, 2 day sensor lenses, 2 night sensor lenses. The reason for 2 day or 2 night sensor/lenses is to have them at different focal lengths, for example, you may want a 22mm to cover a large area and the 135mm for more detail in the middle of the wide image. Day/night depends on you, but there's no IR cut filter, so if you chose day, you can use it at night, but not with IR ligthing, you need white light, but it's color and it's 3MP. The night sensor is 1MP and B&W and can be used all day. Most people get 1 day and 1 night lens and they come in any variation of 22mm, 43mm and 135mm. Because the night sensor is only 1MP, if you get the day sensor at 22mm, consider 43mm for the night sensor to make up for the less resolution. The night sensor is very good, very clean b&w images in available light.

D12 has all the same features of the M12 an can be ordered without lenses (you pick) or with a kit simlar to the M12. The advantage of the D12 is that you can change lenses and its' a little cheaper. Some people get two day or night lenses because unlike the M12, each lens can be pointed seperately, so you can create in effect a 6MP image by putting 2 3MP images side by side.

What is LPF? Example?

Don't have a clue, must just be the b&w sensor is sensitive to IR illuminators. You need illuminators to get the best effect at night.

dunno

I don't think it's sensitive to different speed SD cards, heck, I use a 12MP DSLR with cheap SD card and never had a problem. For Mobotix I've used a NAS device, a WD MyBook World Edition that was recomended by Mobotix and has worked very well.

The camera can be setup with a day and a night sensor/lens, 2 day sensor lenses, 2 night sensor lenses. The reason for 2 day or 2 night sensor/lenses is to have them at different focal lengths, for example, you may want a 22mm to cover a large area and the 135mm for more detail in the middle of the wide image. Day/night depends on you, but there's no IR cut filter, so if you chose day, you can use it at night, but not with IR ligthing, you need white light, but it's color and it's 3MP. The night sensor is 1MP and B&W and can be used all day. Most people get 1 day and 1 night lens and they come in any variation of 22mm, 43mm and 135mm. Because the night sensor is only 1MP, if you get the day sensor at 22mm, consider 43mm for the night sensor to make up for the less resolution. The night sensor is very good, very clean b&w images in available light.

D12 has all the same features of the M12 an can be ordered without lenses (you pick) or with a kit simlar to the M12. The advantage of the D12 is that you can change lenses and its' a little cheaper. Some people get two day or night lenses because unlike the M12, each lens can be pointed seperately, so you can create in effect a 6MP image by putting 2 3MP images side by side.

What is LPF? Example?

Don't have a clue, must just be the b&w sensor is sensitive to IR illuminators. You need illuminators to get the best effect at night.

dunno

I don't think it's sensitive to different speed SD cards, heck, I use a 12MP DSLR with cheap SD card and never had a problem. For Mobotix I've used a NAS device, a WD MyBook World Edition that was recomended by Mobotix and has worked very well.

So this is all due to not mechanical IR cut filter.

So if IR illuminator like the Bosch FLED60 is used, order (2) night lens? But wouldn't that negate the 3mp of day?

So if IR illuminator like the Bosch FLED60 is used, order (2) night lens? But wouldn't that negate the 3mp of day?

No you would not use the LPF model unless you ONLY want to see license plates.... you would order the normal day/night version

No you would not use the LPF model unless you ONLY want to see license plates.... you would order the normal day/night version

Sorry I misdirected you.

What I meant is if Bosch IR Illuminator is used, then need (2) night lens? But if that is the case, since the night lens is only 1MG, lost out on 3mp?

Hi Nancy

I think there are two questions left unanswered on this thread - R16 and NAS.

The R16 model was introduced while Mobotix were still struggling to get satisfactory results in testing with SD, so they released a variant of the cameras with built-in CF memory, of which there is 16Gb. The SD models were released later, and the R16 has remained in the range, just not very popular!

As for NAS, Mobotix recommend Overland Storage, and have built-in cross compatabilties with auto detect etc.

(I used to sell Mobotix for 4 years before joining Grandstream)