Hey guys, I'm new here but I'm a little confused.

I'm looking for a dvr and it is pretty important that I record in 30fps per channel - so when I see the dvrs list the total fps (for i need 16 ch *30 = 480) is it listing those rates in the lowest quality and worst compression?

what is d1 vs h.264

does the resolution make a difference?

This is all analog and I'm looking to get the cnb - bbm21f because of the ICR and it looks pretty good on their site. I've been reading as much as I can on here and thought cnb would be choice because, you all seem to like them and I believe the quote was "because of you soundy" that made me laugh because I've seen forums follow one product based on value and reliability.

If anyone has a suggestion on something decent with remote view capabilities I'd appreciate.

Thank you.

Yes typically when they advertise 480/480 its in CIF.

Unless it is a hardware compression card which can generally produce the full 30fps for each channel over 16 channels, also with much faster systems like 6 cores today it is said to be almost possible to get close to full 30fps per channel over 16 channels using software compression.

D1 is the resolution (eg. 720x480 NTSC) and H.264 is the Compression.

Just to help clarify some of the specs you'll see listed:

Common resolutions are CIF (352x240), 4CIF (704x480) and D1 (720x480, as rory says).

H.264 is a newer compression codec; MPEG-4 and MJPEG are two other common ones. H.264 will compress more than the other two without significantly less quality, but other than smaller files, there's not a huge screaming difference - concentrate on your other requirements first.

Without knowing your exact usage here, keep in mind that 15fps is virtually indistinguishable from 30fps; in most cases, you wouldn't know the difference watching 15fps.

Also, if your need is fast-moving objects, keep in mind that shutter speed of the camera will become a factor in how clear things are, not just recording framerate.

Thanks guys

I've got two other threads running as well, so i hope i dont confuse anyone here.

We're looking to protect a mobile home park. there is one group that is allegedly trafficing drugs and even out in the open so we're going with license plate cameras on the two entrances and looking for clear recording and cameras to do the rest. if I'm going down the wrong path, by all means set me straight. for the particular trailer i think I'll need somewhere in the range of a 9mm lense.