I have been using an Imac for the last 2 years.

I decided that for my DVR system I'd buy a reufrbished IBM PC with Windows XP professional installed. When I took out the 500 gb drive and installed a 1TB drive I loaded windows XP using the cd that came with the machine. The install would not recognize the network card. When I tried to remove it than reinstall it it could not find the drivers.

So I remove the 1TB drive and put the 500 gb drive in.

I then download Luxriot software that I had purchased and get

MICROSOFT C++ RUNTIME oXoooo36b1 4 times

I continue on with the install and get

Cannot execute

DVRSERVER.EXE code 14001

dvrserverwatchdof.exe code 14001

dvrclientr.exe code 14001

dvrclient.exe code 14001

mjpco1.exe code 140011

Dvrrundll.exe code 140011

I have a problem entered with Luxriot.

1TB HD is working with the networkk card

I have drivers for the network card so I'll go back and see if I can get the 1TB drive to run the system.

This time I'm saving the settings from the 500Gb drive to use with the 1TB when I install it.

It's a good thing I'm retired and have my time free.

So did you get it working?

In terms of DVR's, I've only ever used dedicated systems and Linux computers. Windows is too rickety IMO.

I do use Windows systems for work and play though. I leave Linux to grunt-work because it is reliable for that use.

With Windows in most cases yes you have to install some drivers, especially with the older OS, not that big a deal now though and much simpler then years gone by, one can go on the Manufacturer site and download it or use the Drivers and Application CD/DVD that came with it - you will find that many refurbs are missing that and also have certain hardware that may be bad, ive setup hundreds of refurbs over the years including 4 just last week. The I-mac you also have to install drivers, if using Windows on it, as I did, Mac OS automatically has those drivers installed for their hardware, there are MANY other drivers that Mac is missing, much more then even Windows XP. Additionally I-mac IS a PC now, same parts as in any other computer, essentially, although it uses an Open Source firmware instead of a Bios, among other things similar to Linux - IMO its just basically a stripped down more limited version of Linux.

Now to Windows, the OS, not the PC, once it is setup properly it is great as a DVR, secure, stable, a work horse. Ive been doing this with them for a few years now and never had a problem. Its all about in the setup, just cant expect to install and walk away, same with ANY OS. Thats what I get paid to do, but then Im here and not there, and oh yeah im still cheaper than apple.

now that said, you could just image the 500GB drive then restore that Image to the 1TB drive, then grow the drive if you want to match the new size, but If it were me I would do a fresh install, make the System drive 40Gb and leave the remainder for the Video data.

Most problems are not the OS fault, typically it is 3rd party software or hardware related, drivers or other.

what are the specs of this computer?

One thing to note is that alot of current software is developed on fast new computers, much like or even much faster then the I-mac. If one tries to run said software on a slower computer like a P4 or Celeron then one can run into all kinds of problems. Personally I develop my software on both a P4 and a 600Mhz Celeron netbook, that means it will run well on almost all computers, especially the newer systems.

Additionally the 3rd party software may use the DOTNET framework, so that would need to be installed. And depending on which version of XP you have you may need to install VC++ runtimes and other updates. Make sure its XP Pro SP2 or SP3 and you should be fine, SP3 will have the latest updates which the 3rd party software may require, allthough will still need to install DOTNET.

The CD/DVD that came with it with XP probably does not have drivers, or they might have created a custom XP install and added some of the drivers on it but the network card may have been added later - in fact it should have onboard network, so that it has a separate card shows either the onboard went bad or it is that old! Refurbs are not perfect, thats why when we setup DVRs we normally build them from scratch, even a ready built new PC will require getting the right one, not all will work. Ive been using refurbs for my own home computer for years now, ofcourse i switch out parts alot though, but I get them free so im happy

Also we normally make images of the new install to create a recovery or restore DVD or USB/SD for future use .. and old systems from the big name brands used to come with that same thing, but now they just typically ship the basic OS.

rory a big thank you. After reading your post I decided to start over.

I reloaded XP then went out ad got SERVICE PACK 3 loaded it.

Luxriot gave me the latest download linkand......

IT WORKS

rory a big thank you. After reading your post I decided to start over.

I reloaded XP then went out ad got SERVICE PACK 3 loaded it.

Luxriot gave me the latest download linkand......

IT WORKS

Glad it works

For future reference, another route instead of installing SP3 separate is to get the older version of XP Pro installation disk and slipstream SP3 into it. You could then use something like Nlite to create an ISO and then burn that to a CD/DVD, and that way you will have an XP SP3 Installation disk. Not much difference then installing SP3 over say an existing SP2 install but it does take up a little less space and is a little cleaner.