Airwave

PoE Surge Suppression Ideas

I have a simple 4 camera system (Arecont) connected to a Netgear FS108P for the PoE. Today I found out that the system was down and upon some investigation, realized it must have been hit by lightning. The damage was done via the Cat 6 wires going to the switch, which fried it. The DVR and power systems are OK, but I haven't checked the cameras yet... (crossing fingers)...

Anyway, I have surge protection on the AC side of things, but not on the PoE side to the cameras, which are mounted on aluminum poles away from the DVR.

Can anyone recommend a good in-line Cat 6 surge suppressor that works with PoE?

thanks bpzle... ironically I just stumbled across that very model online. Great that you recommend it.

Do I need 2 of these per camera, i.e. one at each end or will one coming out of the PoE jack to each camera work fine?

Hm. First, remove cameras (galvanic) from poles. Just isolate. This the main and first step. Just isolate cameras from different "ground", than POE SW. .

Second, you do not need any surge protection on camera side. Dual protection (if camera side protectors is grounded to different ground, than the POE SW) can cause ground loop, in case of lightening.