cgcmgr

Trouble remotely viewing using my Lorex DVR L208D251

Hi,

I just recently purchsed a Lorex 8 channel DVR model L208D251. I hooked up everything and checked local viewing. It works fine. I then set up remote viewing and checked it on my aunt's laptop who lives 2 blocks from where my DVR is and it worked fine. I got home (over 300 miles from the DVR) and installed Lorex's client software onto my computer (version 2.4.0.0). This is the version the Lorex webpage says to use. I can connect to my DVR (it says connected), but I normally get just a blank screen. Sometimes I get partial camera video with green digitized boxes blocking the camera pictures. Other times I get all 3 camera views, but I cannot do anything with them. The time counter seems to never move as if the software is frozen. I have tried this client software on 5 different computers all with the same result. At work, I do get better results, but as of yesterday I couldn't remotely access the menu of the DVR and it too seemed to lock up as the time wasn't moving.

The day I tested it at my aunt's I had my brother also test it (over 300 miles away) and it worked. When I got home, he asked me if I disconnected the DVR because he could no longer log on, all he got was a blank screen. So it looks as if everything works fine on the initial try on each computer, but then stops working. I still need to check with my aunt.

Does anyone know if the problem is this client software? I read online (google search) that someone else had this problem and couldn't fix it. http://osdir dot com/ml/wine-bugs/2010-06/msg01104 dot html. I'm having trouble contacting Lorex to ask them what they think. I just want to be able to view my cameras and see what is going on there. When It first worked video seemed to be on a five second or so interval. Video wasn't fluid, the time would show say 12:30:32 and then 12:30:37. I originally had the cameras connected to USB devices connected to my computer and video was fluid, every second or so. So I don't think it is an internet problem. Any suggestions? The DVR is MPEG-4 encoding. If it's the DVR and not the software, any ideas as to a good DVR that will work well when remotely viewed? That's my main goal. Not too concerned about recording. I just want to view my cameras in real time.

Thanks for reading

Chris

In the local setup menu in the CMS software, under configuration, change the video output. Note that changes will not be made until you click OK, close the program out, and open the program again.

In the local setup menu in the CMS software, under configuration, change the video output. Note that changes will not be made until you click OK, close the program out, and open the program again.

Do you mean change the video output in the DVR menu settings? I currently have video output set to high quality, should I change it to low or medium? Is this the video you want me to change or is there something else with video I should be looking at?

No. On the client software. See circled in red.

[attachment=0]lorex.jpg[/attachment]

My Lorex client software is not like that. That is a newer version. Mine is very basic. I actually downloaded the version you have and no matter what info I put into the setup screen it always tells me connection failed. Guess it doesn't work with my DVR. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

So, after days of trouble shooting, another brother of mine calls me and tells me the cameras seem to be working fine. I tell him I can't connect, how r u connecting? He tells me he connected 3 days ago and has never disconnected, just minimizes the software. So, it looks as if only 1 person can connect to the DVR at a time. Here I am going nuts trying to figure out what's wrong and it's all because of him. By the way, I had him go into the settings of the DVR and change the video quality from high to normal and although the video isn't as clear, it refreshes about every second or so. Thanks for the advice.

Any idea if your version of the software will work with my DVR?

Are you and your brother using the same username/ password? This will be the conflict.

I have no idea about software versions for Lorex... the only reason I know anything at all about it is I use this one at the house, and only because I got it for free from an upgrade for a customer.

I'm not a fan of Lorex in general (their cameras are a joke), but the DVR I have is actually pretty decent... It's a higher end unit though, and overpriced IMO. I will say that Lorex, as far as DVRs go, are the "higher end" of big box electronics store brands. Much better than Q See, Clover, Security Man, etc which seem to have ZERO quality standards.

so I just got a call back from Lorex...can't believe they called this late. I was told that the software I have is the only software that can be used for my DVR. I was also told to check my upload spped. Can't do that until I'm at the DVR site. He also said only one person can be logged into the DVR at a time.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions though. Changing the video quality does indeed speed up the video.

Thanks again,

Chris

If there is a computer running on the remote site, TeamViewer will save you a lot of time... You can see what's going on on the LAN, configure the router, etc... Also comes in handy to verify good connection on a remote computer when your on site. No more driving just to find out something doesn't work...

Canyouseeme.org is also a handy tool to verify open ports when you're on site.