bjoynes

A Basic CCTV system for the beginner, by a beginner.

Let me give you a quick update, especially about the DVR.

It has been running 24/7 for the last year in a hot bonus room, with a little air conditioning. In the heat of the summer the HD alarm went off for over temp, but the system has kept on going. I have it setup to remote view, and plan on adding some more cameras. I'm also looking at working towards an IP setup using synology NAS systems. I choose sysnology because I already use their products as servers.

The system is not perfect, but I have only had to power one camera in a whole year, and the ssyem is not on a UPS. Basically a forget a play system for me.

Thanks to all who have helped, hopefully this will help someone else.

Bryn

Thanks for following up.

I have a DS211J recording one camera as a backup. Here is the processor usage with a WV-NP502 3MP panasonic, little blip up about 2/3 in is starting up the surveillance station. Then dropping down is disabling the camera.

858250669_Picture6.png.9796bdc889ff59b5b7d43329d73d583c.png

Thanks for the post about the DS211J. Do you know the the licensing requirements for the sysnology product. Also the Network usage seems high, what frame rate, and codec etc. are you using. The Panasonic NP-502 camera seems to be a good quality product, how wlll does it do in the dark?

Thanks

Bryn

Not as good as analog and not as good as the Arecont 3135 (the best I've tried). Comes with one license, additional licenses are not cheap (see google or ebay). Kinda clunky, personally I prefer running a computer with Vitamin D and Milestone Go.

But I have it, so I do it as a backup. Plus I think Milestone limits you to one channel of audio so nice to have another channel of that. Network is not high at 800KB that's 6.4Mb/s which is probably a pretty slow frame rate since I'm doing MJPEG. My analog cams with low compression and high frame rate MJPEG end up around 10-20Mb/s.

Edited by Guest

Mike (_va), that's some pretty high CPU load for just one camera. Have you tried it with more cameras to see if it scales?

I can try it with some other cameras but will have to wait a day or two.

Mike (_va), that's some pretty high CPU load for just one camera. Have you tried it with more cameras to see if it scales?

I only have one license but setting it to 1.3M reduces it to around ~30%. Still ends up a bit higher than an Axis P1344 which was around 10-15%. I do have it set for motion detect on the NAS, unsure if I had the Axis set up that way.