iceblast

Question about View Angle on a camera.

I'm looking to add a camera to my security system. but I'm not sure what this means though.

View Angle 110° -20° what's throwing me is the -20°.

Here are the specs for this camera.

Vonnic C506B Outdoor Night Vision Dome Camera

Image Sensor 1/3” Sony Super HAD CCD

Horizontal Resolution 550 TV Lines

Scanning system NTSC

Lens 2.8-12mm Varifocal

Minimum illumination 0 LUX (IR ON)

S/N Ratio More than 48dB

White Balance AUTO

Auto Gain Control AUTO

Electronic Shutter 1/50(1/60)-1/100,000 Sec

Gamma Correction 0.45

Water Resistance Weatherproof IP66

Vandal Proof Yes

Power Consumption 500mA

Power Supply (Not Included) DC 12V

Infrared LED 36 Lights (5mm)

IR Distance 120ft (36m)

View Angle 110° -20°

I've never heard of the brand Vonnic though. Can't seem to find much info on it. Has anyone else heard of them, and whether they are good or not.

I need a Vandal Proof Dome camera that can see far into the dark. I don't think there is enough light for a non IR camera, and I don't need to be ability to identify anyone with this camera. Would be nice if it could. Spec sheet looks ok. But since I can't find any reviews at all for products made by Vonnic. I'll be taking a gamble on that. I can get the camera for under $100.

Or If anyone knows of a better camera around that price range I would like to heard about it.

From what I've read on these forums, most of the experts dislike non name brands, and I agree with you there for the most part. You get what you pay for. But when you can't afford the name brands, you go after the camera that seems the best for your money, and I don't have the time to save my money for a couple of months when I need the protection right now. Something is better then nothing. But I still want the best camera I can get for the little money I have right now.

I have many off brand cameras right now that are getting the job done. None of them are domes though. I need to mount a camera to the ceiling of a car port to look diagonally behind my store and across a field. There is no light out there. I've been robbed twice at gun point, each time they came up from behind my store, and each time I saw them when they entered my cameras field of view. But that only gives me 1 or 2 seconds to do anything about it. But if I have cameras pointed down the sides of the building it will buy me the time to hit my maglock, grab my gun and call 911. I have other cameras for ID if possible, but they are usually masked, so the best camera in the world will do me little good. I just need to see them coming, see if it looks like they are masked, or carrying a gun, or if anyone is coming from the direction at all.

I'm up for suggestions . I'm not a know it all. But I've lived most of my life taking little and making it work for me.

CNB seems like a popular camera here, and I plan on replacing alot of my cameras in the future with a few of them. Unless I come cross a better brand/price. Or if there is a CNB in my price range that would fit what I need right now. I'd get that. Would rather have a good name brand if i could afford it.

Sorry for writing so long.

Thanks if you can help me out.

Define: "far into the dark."

How far?

I've never heard of the brand either. However, I can tell you that 120feet of IR built into a vandal dome is a bold faced lie. Not going to happen... I would be suprisied if they threw even 50ft from the camera, esp outdoors.

It is extreamly rare for cameras with intgrated IRs to throw (real world) more than 50feet, and I'd go as far to say impossible in your price range.

However, if there is any kind of ambient light this will work in your favor. A good quality, true day/night camera will only need IRs in zero light, not low light. Cheap cameras need it for both.

Ok, IR distance is off. Do you know what the view angle means then. My first question?

View Angle 110° -20° what's throwing me is the -20°

And do you have any suggestions for a camera you know works well at night and doesn't cost much more then $100 dollars, and Mounts on the Ceiling.

Looks like you deal in many Named brands. So you should have some ideas.

If anyone else has any idea's or can help with my questions that would be great too.

The problem with these great name brands is that you can't find them locally, or anywhere for that matter, and your plain lucky to find a demo of them working on line. So, you have to depend on webpages and word of mouth to buy something worth while, and alot of these pages use the exact same demo for many different cameras. going from their most expense to their cheapest. So, that leaves you with a bad feeling, that's with the name brand sites too.

But here on this forum there are people that buy these cameras, and work with them everyday, and know how well they work, and know if they are worth buying or not.

Only problem I see here is, if the camera doesn't cost a certain amount then it's not any good. Well, as I've said before, I've got many cheap cameras, and believe it or not they do a pretty good job. Maybe I can't put the camera 20' or 30' feet away from the target range, but I don't need to for my indoor cameras. All of them are less then 10' from their target, and see just fine. $35 dollar wisecomm's. Both times I've been robbed the police told me that my video was really good, and better then most places, and they have very good build in mic's as well. They caught every word said.

One of my best current cameras is outside, a Svat CV31VEX 24 Infrared LEDs illuminate up to 45’ away in the dark which is pretty much right. $70 camera, and it's been doing a good job, and I have 3 more Wisecomm's out there. The Wisecomm's have 8 IR's and are lucky if they see 8' in front of them. But if you give them light they do very well. 4 camera's mounted on the front of my store monitor everything from left to right. It's very hard to sneak up on me. Unless you can come up behind the store. Reason why I'm trying to find a good camera that would be good in the dark to see down the sides of my build.

Yes, I know there are better cameras out there. I also know that you don't have to pay a fortune to get a camera that gets the job done. I find with alot of name brands, your paying for the name more then for the quality your getting, and alot of the sites out there will charge you 2 or 3 times the price for the same camera else where, and most any camera works good at 10' or less.

CNB BE4810NCR IR is rated for 60m's 180'. Great deal more then 50'. Of course the camera cost $400. But it doesn't look like you can mount it on a ceiling, and $400 is just to much for me right now.

So, if anyone has info, or know of a good camera at a good price that would be great. Would like to see up to 100 feet if possible. But I'm willing to lose some feet for better quality. Just trying to say in the $100-$150 range. The Vonnic I can get for $75. But I don't know anything about review wise. Could be a awesome camera, could suck, don't know. But I can return it if needed. But I'd rather go with one that people know alot about and it's a sure bet.

Sorry for writing so long again. I appreciate any help you could give. Please don't forget my first question though.

View Angle 110° -20° what's throwing me is the -20°? what does the -20° refer to?

Thanks again.

The angle of view degree is just that. Since the camera has a varifocal lens, the camera can view from 20 to 110 degrees. Think of the camera's field of view like a triangle, with the tip of the triangle the lens. The farther away a scene is (or the widest the varifocal lens is adjusted to), the wider an area the camera will capture.

I have a camera in mind for you..

Better than CNB but also in your price range. It's a bullet camera, but the mounting bracket for it is lockable and vandal resistant since the wires tuck away inside it and are not visible. It has powerful "smart IRs" that eventhough they will throw about 75', they won't wash out images near the camera. It's has 620tvl of resolution and ICR aka it's a true day/night. It's become our go to camera for nearly any outdoor requirement both high and low budget jobs.

PM me your email and I'll send you demo pics/ more information. I can even do a live demo over the internet for you if you'd like.

I think bpzle is right, it's a little bass-ackward, but the spec is saying "from 110 to 20 degrees", not "minus 20".

Yeah, that makes more since. I guess they meant to put 110 - 20 and not -20. Thanks for the info.

bpzle would really like to see what your talking about. Sending you a PM.

Most IR domes will barely hit 50 feet. IR bullets tend to go further but not much more. Even the IR they have that does go far, can be next to useless in many cases. Most with claims of long IR distances still do poorly, and many of those long range IR bullets have 15 degree beams instead of 30, thats not even close to the 110 degree beam you might be looking for. Even the ones with dual 15 and 30 degree beams tend to give a ring effect. If you want to flood the area, eg. 60 degree+ then need to install separate IR. All IR claims will be indoor as well, or in areas outside with objects within the IR range for it to reflect off, such as walls and bushes.

Ive used the CNB BE4815NVR, 50 metres, and I can tell you its not worth it.

Ofcourse in my case I am looking for a good IR camera to blast the area, comparable to an EX82, but not at its cost - havent found one yet. Most IR bullet claims are just that, claims.

Also see this thread I started:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22173

the BE4810NCR is a 7.5mm+ lens, so that doesnt fit the bill in my case, and doubtful it would be much better with the IR than the BE4815NVR anyway.

BTW the CNB bullets have a lockable mount. the BE4815NVR used a large alan key, and the B2760NVF I just installed a couple days ago had a small alan key.

Bottom line is if you want more than 50' of IR outside in a wide open pitch dark area and actually be able to identify a person, expect to buy something other then a Color IR OR True Day Night IR bullet, and especially something other than an IR Dome .... expect it to cost alot also. Other option is to use a TRUE day night bullet and add IR separately. That way you can buy an HIGH END illuminator and flood the area with IR.

Ofcourse im only going by my experience, there may always be the rare exception.

The majority of my jobs require low light or Infrared though. BTW I hate Infrared now