alpine0000

Questions on setting up a Windows server with ExacqVision

I am looking to upgrade my system. I want to get into IP for the first time, as well as build my own windows server and use VMS for the first time. I currently have a standalone DVR with analog cameras, so this will be new for me (although, I work in the I.T. field and have a degree in I.T., so the computer/router set up will be a breeze).

Since I have never set one up before, I am not sure if I fully understand exactly everything that I will need to do this. I want to initially integrate my analog cameras and slowly add IP cameras. I will probably start off with 1 or 2 IP cameras and then slowly replace the analogs with IP cameras down the road. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Is this all I will need?

--Server -(Will probly use a Dell of some sort with windows 7 pro, quad core, minimum of 4 gigs of ram (maybe 8?), and min of 2TB of drive space)

--Encoder- if i understand correctly, i need this in order to integrate my exisiting analog cams with the new IP infrastructure (probly pick up the AXIS Q7404)

--VMS Software- (will buy the exacqvision for $150 per license)

--POE Gigabit switch- this will be totally dedicated to the cameras

Am I missing anything else here that I will need to get this server up and running, and recording my video footage?

I tried to download the VMS software manual on ExacqVision's website, but it requires a login name and pw. I thought I read somewhere that you can try out the VMS for free (although only use 1 camera), but I cant figure out where/how to download it.

Then, is this all that is entailed for the setup (very high-level overview)?

--configure the router to forward the proper ports

--install the Server VMS software on the server (which will run as a windows service)

--install the client software on any machine to administer the server setup

--register/license your cams

Am I on the right track? Is it really that easy?

FYI-- this is a system for my home, and can't imagine ever having more than 7-8 cameras total

--Server -(Will probly use a Dell of some sort with windows 7 pro, quad core, minimum of 4 gigs of ram (maybe 8?), and min of 2TB of drive space)

Too much but will work just fine

--Encoder- if i understand correctly, i need this in order to integrate my exisiting analog cams with the new IP infrastructure (probly pick up the AXIS Q7404)

Yes, what ever u use make sure that Exacq will support

--VMS Software- (will buy the exacqvision for $150 per license)

Yes

--POE Gigabit switch- this will be totally dedicated to the cameras

Yes

Am I missing anything else here that I will need to get this server up and running, and recording my video footage?

Not

I tried to download the VMS software manual on ExacqVision's website, but it requires a login name and pw. I thought I read somewhere that you can try out the VMS for free (although only use 1 camera), but I cant figure out where/how to download it.

Then, is this all that is entailed for the setup (very high-level overview)?

--configure the router to forward the proper ports

Yes

--install the Server VMS software on the server (which will run as a windows service)

Yes

--install the client software on any machine to administer the server setup

Yes

--register/license your cams

Yes

Am I on the right track? Is it really that easy?

Yes

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! The server is a bit much, but I can get it for pretty cheap, so why not, right?

I thought I read somewhere that you can try out the VMS for free (although only use 1 camera), but I cant figure out where/how to download it. Do you know anything about this? Is this true?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! The server is a bit much, but I can get it for pretty cheap, so why not, right?

Yep why not

I thought I read somewhere that you can try out the VMS for free (although only use 1 camera), but I cant figure out where/how to download it. Do you know anything about this? Is this true?

U need login to download

can be arranged

PM me and I can send you a demo..... that server way overkill for 8 cameras..... I would use a atom based server to save on power but that will work fine.

Thanks! I will PM you!

I agree, it is way overkill. But I can get these servers for like $400 (not including my HDD's), so the only real reason not to would be to save electricity, which I might also consider.

Again, I appreciate all your help!

oh -- one more question:

if i have four 500bg HDD's in the server, will the VMS software be able to write to all 4 drives, or will I need to RAID them into 1 virtual drive for the VMS to handle it?