rory

CNB DFL-20s and Power Cable connections

would like to get other ideas on how others are connecting the power.

this is an indoor ceiling mount dome.

-It comes with a female power connector on the end of the short cable from the camera.

-It comes with a male power connector with bare leads, black and red.

1-connect the 2 power connectors together then connect the bare leads to the siamese power cable - using inline connectors, terminal strips/blocks, beanies, tape, other? Do you tape the 2 connectors so if pulled less chance they come apart? Obviously in a drop tile situation the connectors pulling appart is less likely to be an issue, but in the case of sheet rock or wooden ceilings which are more difficult to access later on this could be a problem waiting to happen, at least if someone such as an AC tech or Electrician goes up there.

2-cut the female power connector off the camera cable and join the ground and positive to the siamese power cable - could be difficult to use inline connectors or terminal strips/blocks as the ground is the outer braid which is lower down from the positive, and they are both thin braid. Use beanies, tape, other?

this could apply to other cameras with similar power connections, such as bullet cameras and other cheap domes.

I know for example Soundy has had some interesting ideas in the past for certain things, such as using wall plugs with a screw through it to mount an indoor ceiling dome to a drop tile. All ideas welcome and up for discussion.

There is NO benefit to option 2 - it's no more reliable, and if you ever need to swap the camera, you're having to cut and re-splice connections. Use the included barrel connector and attach it whichever way suits you - I usually use either beanies or butt-crimps, depending on which I have handy. If you crimp it well, you shouldn't have to worry about it pulling apart. Leave a foot or two of service loop and the barrel and splice point should come out of the ceiling easily enough without worrying about it pulling apart.

Hi Soundy, thanks for the reply.

I dont know, was just thinking there has to be a better way ... guess this is what it is when dealing with these type of cameras ... I like the green connector with the 24VFs .. otherwise terminal stips etc are still too big to put through the hole in the ceiling mount or id just use them (even with terminal strips the small braid wire doesnt always hold) - well could make it bigger but for example most times the holes are not that large when its a wooden ceiling. My main concern is with leaving that in the ceiling and somehow it gets caught on something I cant see as cant access that part of the ceiling, and then when you pull the wire down it comes loose ...

Cutting the cable on the camera will void the warranty with most manufacturers. If the camera comes with those stupid barrel plugs for power, I use a like connector and attach it to the field cable with b connectors (aka dolphins).

Then I tape the 2 cables together. to keep them from being pulled apart.

No warranty issue down here, not for cameras this cheap at least.

So basically bpzle you are doing what I did. Just checking

use both connectors, Attach with butt splices shrink tubing. Tape power connection to prevent accidental unplugging.

don't forget to solder that b#$&

Ok thanks guys

I just used Beanies (b connectors) i managed to get from the local alarm store here ..

so used that on the power connector that came with it, taped together as mentioned (pulling back out of hole in wooden ceiling can come loose otherwise), couple screws and good to go. These are very simple to install .. fully focused, easy to adjust, and only takes a penny or small straight screwdriver or even a key, to snap off the dome cover and it just snaps back in place. They still cant handle backlighting much more than any other cheap camera, nor do they see anything worth mentioning in low light, but gotta love them for the price! Best cheap color dome ive used yet.

use both connectors, Attach with butt splices shrink tubing. Tape power connection to prevent accidental unplugging.

don't forget to solder that b#$&

Playa hayter ..

Shrink tubing though .. yeah I think thats a bit much for a cheap camera install like this ..

would like to get other ideas on how others are connecting the power.

this is an indoor ceiling mount dome.

-It comes with a female power connector on the end of the short cable from the camera.

-It comes with a male power connector with bare leads, black and red.

1-connect the 2 power connectors together then connect the bare leads to the siamese power cable - using inline connectors, terminal strips/blocks, beanies, tape, other? Do you tape the 2 connectors so if pulled less chance they come apart? Obviously in a drop tile situation the connectors pulling appart is less likely to be an issue, but in the case of sheet rock or wooden ceilings which are more difficult to access later on this could be a problem waiting to happen, at least if someone such as an AC tech or Electrician goes up there.

2-cut the female power connector off the camera cable and join the ground and positive to the siamese power cable - could be difficult to use inline connectors or terminal strips/blocks as the ground is the outer braid which is lower down from the positive, and they are both thin braid. Use beanies, tape, other?

this could apply to other cameras with similar power connections, such as bullet cameras and other cheap domes.

I know for example Soundy has had some interesting ideas in the past for certain things, such as using wall plugs with a screw through it to mount an indoor ceiling dome to a drop tile. All ideas welcome and up for discussion.

I just got one of these in today and I am impressed with the image quality for the price, very good. I go 1 and tape the connectors because its easier to service and you still have the warranty.