kaimaikid

Help needed choosing lens

Hi,

I have a Panasonic WV-NP1004E IP Megapixel camera and need advice in choosing a lens for this.

It will be pointed basically at the sky being used as a weather cam. I am looking for a varifocal lens around 2.5-8mm, CS mount, 1/3" and auto iris.

This is what I am doing with a cheap lens --- http://kiwiradio.blakjak.net/wxcam-history.php

So far I have come across megapixel lenses from Panasonic, Tamron and Pentax, would I be better going for the

Panasonic WV-LZA62/2 1/3" 2.8-6mm High-Resolution Auto Iris Lens

due to it supposedly being matched for the camera or going for something that is half the price like the

Pentax C70228DCPS 2.6mm-8mm DC Auto Iris Vari-focal Plus Lens

or maybe something else?

Biggest problem is that there is very little information about these apart from the manufacturers and I don't want to end up getting a dog.

Found your post on weather-watch.com

If this is going to be a weathercam, I'm guessing you probably want the widest view possible and won't generally be changing the camera position or field of view... in which case, a varifocal isn't really needed. You can expand your options a bit (not a LOT) by including fixed-focal lenses in your spec.

For something really wide, IQEye sells a 2.5-7mm MP lens (don't recall the actual brand off-hand), only drawback is that it's not auto-iris.

One other thing to keep in mind: you'll want to use a housing that allows for your wide FOV. This is an IQ511 (1.3MP 1/3") with their 2.5-7mm lens in a Pelco EH3508 enclosure:

And finally, if you really want a FULL-VIEW weathercam, have you thought of something like this? http://arecontvision.com/index.php?section=product&subsection=product_details&product_id=25

still1a.thumb.jpg.dcbd7d2b52bdf65d548946c51142a726.jpg

Here is a sample of what I am getting with a basic lens, trying to stay away from the fish-eye look if I can but probably impossible at the wider end of the scale...

1149jpgwebcam.jpg.6f48da2ecc3b0778b5ecbb9217d2b2a3.jpg

You can AVOID the fisheye effect entirely with the right lens. Unfortunately that lens will probably cost more than the camera.

Other cameras like the Arecont panoramic one have "de-warping" software available that will mitigate the effect.

Of course, something like Photoshop will always allow you to "de-fisheye" your pictures as well.

Have you looked at Theia?

http://www.theiatech.com/

Hi,

I have a Panasonic WV-NP1004E IP Megapixel camera and need advice in choosing a lens for this.

It will be pointed basically at the sky being used as a weather cam. I am looking for a varifocal lens around 2.5-8mm, CS mount, 1/3" and auto iris.

This is what I am doing with a cheap lens --- http://kiwiradio.blakjak.net/wxcam-history.php

So far I have come across megapixel lenses from Panasonic, Tamron and Pentax, would I be better going for the

Panasonic WV-LZA62/2 1/3" 2.8-6mm High-Resolution Auto Iris Lens

due to it supposedly being matched for the camera or going for something that is half the price like the

Pentax C70228DCPS 2.6mm-8mm DC Auto Iris Vari-focal Plus Lens

or maybe something else?

Biggest problem is that there is very little information about these apart from the manufacturers and I don't want to end up getting a dog.

I asked one of our suppliers about getting in a Theia lens a while back... something in about a 2.0mm for 1/2" camera, I think... seems to me it was going to be about $650.

Like I said, "you can AVOID the fisheye effect entirely with the right lens. Unfortunately that lens will probably cost more than the camera."

The newest one, the SL183, should be going for around $250 or so.

I like your price better...

EDIT: According to their website MSRP is $299 - not bad for a up to 5mp lens