kingy17

Unknown CCTV System

Hi kingy17.

all you need is some standard BNC leads made up for you. but it depends on how far your cameras are going to be from your unit.

but before you install it all bench test your equipment first. (you do know your unit does not record) you will need a recorder

What about the monitor, i want it to go through the vcr but no leads

cheers

Buy a BNC to RCA adapter for the multiplexer to the VCR, and a RCA to VGA adapter for the VCR to the monitor.

like Tom said... this is not a recorder. in my opinion, does not really qualify as a "cctv system."

what you have is a quad processor. it takes in 4 video inputs, makes a split screen, and shows all 4 simultaneously on a monitor like so:

Quaddisplay.jpg.e4716d8d19664b1a460071586e715eb1.jpg

I am a little confused with this, as you can see in the pic the ALARM port is for a pc monitor and has only 9 little pin holes and the rca leads on ebay have more if you see what i mean, also do i use this for viewing the cameras or the socket that says monitor out?

VCR IN, why would you need to go from that to this

Sorry for sounding dumb but new to this

I am a little confused with this, as you can see in the pic the ALARM port is for a pc monitor and has only 9 little pin holes and the rca leads on ebay have more if you see what i mean, also do i use this for viewing the cameras or the socket that says monitor out?

VCR IN, why would you need to go from that to this

Sorry for sounding dumb but new to this

hi kingy17... the alarm input is not for a monitor. everything is composit so standard tv . the video in is to watch playback. you might be better letting people know were you are you might find a local guy on here who could make up all the leads you need. if you have not used BNC connectors before and you dont have the tool .....you will find it will safe you money just to buy.

Ok thats that cleared up so i would use the monitor out port to the tv, and the vcr out to the vcr to record correct?

A PC VGA monitor uses a 15-pin connector, not 9-pin (unless you're using a very VERY old CGA monitor). That port is for alarm in and/or out connections - some multiplexers (according to the label, this is a multiplexer, not a quad) can output a signal, for example, when motion is detected on a camera, that can switch the VCR to a higher record speed for higher quality.. or may accept an alarm input, like from a motion sensor, that causes the display to switch to an associated camera.

You'll need to connect the VCR OUT jack on the MUX to the VIDEO IN jack on your VCR... *AND* connect the VCR's VIDEO OUT to the VCR IN jack on the MUX. The video recorded on the VCR will likely not be viewable without going through the multiplexer.

Ok thats that cleared up so i would use the monitor out port to the tv, and the vcr out to the vcr to record correct?

Yes, that is correct.

But if it was me, I would buy a standalone dvr like a avtech or avermedia using a hard drive for video recording. A dvr will have more features and options than your current setup. And it's also frustrating to search your recordings on a vcr.

^Agreed... plus, unless you have a time-lapse VCR, you're not going to get more than 8 hours to a tape - that's the max for a consumer VCR at SLP with a T160 tape. A time-lapse VCR, if you can find one, will give you 12, 24, 96, I've even seen them up to 960 hours to tape (at very poor quality).

Hey i bought this adapter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370364567150&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just curious, would it be able to connect this to a pc and record on there as you can record for longer periods than a vcr, my pc has a tv card in it and does have a yellow video in socket

cheers for your help so far guys much appreciated

Yes, you can use the capture card on your pc as long as the pc is left on and you have enough system resources. And try a cam software like Webcamxp (free) or Blue Iris.

I wouldnt even waste my time on it these days, even for a multiplexer its a cheap one at that. You would be better off with even the cheapest 4 channel DVR you can find, at least you have some kind of recording and in most cases network options also.