New Orleans Computer

Umm... What Camera to use?

Hi, it's me again- Resident "Don't Know Jack". I bought a GV600 and now I'm struggling with cameras. I typed CCTV camera into eBay and got 33,000 results of cables, adapters and accessories. " title="Applause" />

I'm not really picky, but I want 2 indoor and 2 outdoor. All I need is a couple model numbers or something.

Also had a question about audio: Are microphones built-in to the cameras or do you place your own microphones?

Ebay has $20 cameras... but that doesn't mean you should buy them.

Cameras are tools. There's no perfect camera for every job, you have to know which one to grab.

What is your application? What is your budget?

Different cameras for different applications, where are you looking to mount them?

Cant help you with what might be on ebay, but can give you model numbers and you can source them out on retail sites.

As for microphones, most analog cameras DO NOT have them built in, unless you're talking the uber-cheapo cameras that come with uber-cheapo package systems. A few IP cameras have them, but most don't.

Different cameras for different applications, where are you looking to mount them?

Cant help you with what might be on ebay, but can give you model numbers and you can source them out on retail sites.

2 outside (under a balcony)

and 2 inside.

Thanks!

Tip for searching on ebay, I usually tick 'uk only' (tick whatever country choice you are in, ie usa only if in USA) to avoid the millions of cheap junk foreign cams and accessories.

Then in the search you can put any terms you wish to exclude after the search with a minus sign before them, for example

cctv camera -lead -psu -adapter -etc

to remove leads, psu's, adapters etc from the search results.

All I want is the model name of a couple decent cameras.

I just had a theft at my shop 3 days ago, but no cameras to see who did it. I'm ready to just bust out a camcorder and a tripod. It really shouldn't take 5 months to set up a CCTV system but alas, here I am.

CNB VBM-24VF. Good indoor and out. Good picture, good low light, killer price for what you actually get. Pick up four of them and be happy

that's not a one-size-fits-all camera

It's about the closest you're gonna get, and without more details from the OP, that's about the best "fit" anyone can give.

It's about the closest you're gonna get, and without more details from the OP, that's about the best "fit" anyone can give.

cant fit them around my apartment .. nowhere to mount them

unless i use that bulky wall mount and that wont happen here ..

hence still the need for bullets. Turret domes do fit though, but I dont like to use them outdoors.

OK, more details.

1st, I want to only record when there is motion, in day and night.

2nd, I would prefer a camera that will auto-focus and move.

3rd I would prefer wall outlet power, rather than hard wiring. (At least for the inside ones)

Now where to order?

OK, more details.

1st, I want to only record when there is motion, in day and night.

That's typically a function of the DVR, not the camera.

2nd, I would prefer a camera that will auto-focus and move.

That would be a PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom). Expect to pay 5-10 times the cost of a similar fixed camera.

3rd I would prefer wall outlet power, rather than hard wiring. (At least for the inside ones)

Not sure what you mean by "hard wiring"? Almost all cameras run on 12VDC and/or 24VAC, so you're looking at some sort of power adapter and low-voltage wiring to the camera.

By "one-size-fits-all" above, we're referring to the usage of the particular camera: where is it located? What is it looking at? What is its purpose (wide overview, close-up for facial details, etc.)? What will the lighting conditions be like? Does it need to be weatherproof or covert?