Lebeter

Need advice on reliable system with certain features

We already have an infrastructure for an IP based system, but I can also run BNC around the building if the rest of the setup can be had for less. I'm looking for a PC setup that utilizes a pci-express card that will work on Windows 7 as 32-bit or 64-bit preferably which has a good (reliable) software package that I can use with an Android phone. Because CCTV systems are fairly interchangeable when it comes to cameras etc, it seems like the biggest complaint I read on these forums is regarding the software. I am a systems administrator so very versed in being able to set something like this up. So here is a breakdown of important features.

1. Will be used indoors to monitor doorways and some open areas with cubicles. Mostly likely a 4-8 camera based system.

2. Needs to have web based capability to monitor remotely.

3. Needs to have Android based application to be used with android smartphones.

So far I've looked at Alnet and Geovision, but not sure if Geovision has an android based client. I don't mind building this in stages to ease burden of cost over time. Can anyone provide some input into who else makes a reliable system. Not too worried about the cameras since they seem to be different between manufacturers.

If you're comfortable with an all-IP system and figure your network can handle the load, why not look at a standalone NVR/NAS solution like those at http://qnapsecurity.com/ (just for one example)?

They don't have a dedicated Android app, but QNAP do have an online web demo that you could test with an Android browser.

Synology have similar products as well.

If you still want to build your own PC system, take a look at NUUO and Exacq; they have analog cards available, but also work as IP-only systems. I've toyed a little with demo installations, but others here are familiar with both, and both seem to be pretty well-regarded. Or check Video Insight for an all-IP server (they use external video-to-IP encoders for analog support), they have a really nice browser interface that works on every browser I've ever tried it on - http://www.demovi.com

Cost-wise, yes, analog cameras cost less than IP, but you'll also need analog capture hardware, as opposed to JUST software with an all-IP setup. And again, if you figure your existing infrastructure will handle it, you can avoid the cost of cabling specially for analog.