cglaeser

Redline flashlight

I was in a local battery shop yesterday and they had a small display of Redline flashlights made by Nebo. They look like some of the Surefire models. Uses an LED and claims 220 lumens. It has three power settings, and several flash modes. It is constructed from aircraft aluminum and the beam is focusable. I expected a price of perhaps $55, but when he said $25, I had to get one. I played with it last night and this little sucker is nice. The AAA batteries can be replaced with Eneloops for recharging and slow discharge rate.

Best,

Christopher

If you want the best, Surefire. Not cheap but it's hard to put a price on something you use a couple dozen times a day, every day...

I prefer AA batteries. The LD40 looks like an excellent choice in the 200+ lumen category. I especially like the fact that it starts in the last power setting. My Redline always starts on high, regardless of last power setting when turned off.

Thanks for posting the link.

Best,

Christopher

I was in a local battery shop yesterday and they had a small display of Redline flashlights made by Nebo. They look like some of the Surefire models. Uses an LED and claims 220 lumens. It has three power settings, and several flash modes. It is constructed from aircraft aluminum and the beam is focusable. I expected a price of perhaps $55, but when he said $25, I had to get one. I played with it last night and this little sucker is nice. The AAA batteries can be replaced with Eneloops for recharging and slow discharge rate.

Best,

Christopher

I think Maglite and Fenix are the best flashlight makers. They give warranty and powerful batteries as well.

This is an old thread but I'll chime in. I've got a Fenix TK15 and it's been the best light I've ever had. Compact but can slay vampires at night on the brightest setting. Remembers what setting it was on (separate level and on/off buttons) as well. Indoors I usually don't have it higher than 2 of 4 because it's too bright. I've still got a bunch of cheaper LED lights, some of which are quite bright, but they always remind me somehow that they're cheap lights with some annoying "feature" or unreliability. The Fenix just keeps working.

This belt clip works nicely too. It's like a third hand at times because it swivels on your hip. Angle forward for walking, angle up for working up high (works for skinny folks without baggy shirts anyway), etc. Holds the TK15 like a beartrap but not so good on their skinny AA penlights without the grip ring. They tend to slip out.

I'd probably get the TK22 if I were to do it again. The rechargeable 18650 batteries (basically two CR123As in a single long package) are great as well. Lots of charge and you don't have to worry about alkalines blowing up and ruining an expensive flashlight. They DO tie you to a charger though- try buying a couple of disposable CR123A batteries at a corner store sometime. If you can't find them (most likely) you'll be stuck with no flashlight. If you DO find them you'll cry because they want to finance a vacation with them. EBay will be your friend. Get a charger and a few spare batteries.

If you're the type to misplace flashlights then Costco or the dollar store is your friend. You want cheap and disposable. And powered by AA, possibly AAA.