cglaeser

monitoring disk drive health

The web user interface on my Netgear ReadyNAS RAID storage allows me to review the SMART information for each disk drive in the array. In particular, I monitor the Reallocated Sector Count, and if this number begins to increase, I consider replacing the drive. Is there a Windows application that shows the SMART information for hard drives? I tried using the Seagate utilities some months ago, but as I recall, these utilities did not show the Reallocated Sector Count or other SMART information.

In addition, the ReadyNAS has an email notification feature that will send me an email message if the Reallocated Sector Count increases on one of the drives. Can you recommend a Windows utility that will monitor drive health and send a notification or pop-up when a drive is experiencing problems? Can the Windows event log send notifications on some types of events?

In summary, how do you monitor drive health to prevent complete failure? Same questions for Ubuntu.

Best,

Christopher

The web user interface on my Netgear ReadyNAS RAID storage allows me to review the SMART information for each disk drive in the array. In particular, I monitor the Reallocated Sector Count, and if this number begins to increase, I consider replacing the drive. Is there a Windows application that shows the SMART information for hard drives? I tried using the Seagate utilities some months ago, but as I recall, these utilities did not show the Reallocated Sector Count or other SMART information.

In addition, the ReadyNAS has an email notification feature that will send me an email message if the Reallocated Sector Count increases on one of the drives. Can you recommend a Windows utility that will monitor drive health and send a notification or pop-up when a drive is experiencing problems? Can the Windows event log send notifications on some types of events?

In summary, how do you monitor drive health to prevent complete failure? Same questions for Ubuntu.

Best,

Christopher

Have a look at HD Tune

also, how many Reallocated Sector Count data will raise alarm for you ?

Best,

Christopher

I use drivesitter

http://www.otwesten.de/drivesitter/

I have it on about 75 PC based DVR's, it takes a little setting up but it works very well for me.

I purchased the licenses in bulk which made it very affordable.

You can pretty much configure it to suit your needs to send an email and/or pop-up notification.

Doug

I've found it iffy on anything but Seagate drives... as manufacturers' diagnostic tools go, I've found Western Digital Data Lifeguard works really well for Windows-based utilities... good old Maxtor PowerMax for DOS-based.