Just started to play with Avigilon software and 3rd party cameras. I must say I am very impressed so far.

I installed the Avigilon software so I could review their sample video, and it seemed very responsive.

Best,

Christopher

Downloaded also, the player struggles a little on my P4 3Ghz. Not bad otherwise, though export is disabled as I get an error when I try that? Also I did find you can change the display quality which does make playing the video run smoother on this P4 compared to playing the file in original quality. Menu system is a little on the heavy side, no need for those nice looking drop down menus really but anyway. Overall its a pretty big Dotnet program so the GUI is expected to be a little heavy even with no file open. I imagine it will really struggle on a netbook but will test it in a bit, although I dont have Dotnet installed and have no plans to, so it probably wont run at all LOL.

Are any of you resellers yet? We had an Avigilon rep give us the dog and pony show last week. Looks like some VERY nice stuff. Could you just get the software off their website?

Are any of you resellers yet? We had an Avigilon rep give us the dog and pony show last week. Looks like some VERY nice stuff. Could you just get the software off their website?

cant imagine anyone in my country can afford them so no.

but yeah downloads on their site.

Thursday Best I have seen for image quality and speed.

- How would you compare the image quality to IQEye?

- Did they demonstrate low-light performance?

- Any chance the Avigilon cameras will be added to the Exacq compatibility list anytime soon? I know both companies have recently released partially compliant ONVIF products, but I think Avigilon only supports H.264 in ONVIF mode, which means the forensic detail of MJPEG is not currently available with Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

- How would you compare the image quality to IQEye? Only looking at the HD cameras so yea they smoke anything I have seen. I do have a webinar tomorrow with IQIeye so I will know a lot more about them.

- Did they demonstrate low-light performance? Outside street night looks great

- Any chance the Avigilon cameras will be added to the Exacq compatibility list anytime soon? I know both companies have recently released partially compliant ONVIF products, but I think Avigilon only supports H.264 in ONVIF mode, which means the forensic detail of MJPEG is not currently available with Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

Both companies have recently released partially compliant ONVIF products
???? Software is fully compliant the cameras are not. One major problem is the lack of "camera based motion" standard in ONVIF. There is none and VMS providers that use "camera based motion" are screwed till the camera manufactures add it to the cameras or they add "camera based motion" to ONVIF.

Congrats, hope you do well with them. Let us know how it goes. Did they get you any ballpark pricing? I asked for some and supposidly it's coming. I wanted to see how far out the stuff was before I went any farther.

What do you think is "to far out"?

I have full pricing and it is not as bad as you think. Not cheap but I have seen stuff that is a lot more. But you need to use good hardware and networking gear.

Edited by Guest

I have full pricing and it is not as bad as you think.

You're right, and as I recall, cheaper than previous generation. You should post the MSRP here.

Best,

Christopher

???? Software is fully compliant the cameras are not.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but as I recall in a phone conversation with Exacq technical support prior to the 4.4 release, they were not planning to implement all of ONVIF.

That issue aside and more important, I don't think I can add an Avigilon camera to my existing Exacq NVR and record MJPEG on camera motion at this time. Several of my cameras support H.264 and the bandwidth reduction is very compelling and H.264 certainly has it's uses, but I use MJPEG nonetheless, even for HD resolution. I'd rather limit the IPS in exchange for increased detail.

Please keep us informed regarding your impressions of IQEye. Those cameras are supported by Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

I don't have my notes in front of me, but as I recall in a phone conversation with Exacq technical support prior to the 4.4 release, they were not planning to implement all of ONVIF.

That issue aside and more important, I don't think I can add an Avigilon camera to my existing Exacq NVR and record MJPEG on camera motion at this time. Several of my cameras support H.264 and the bandwidth reduction is very compelling and H.264 certainly has it's uses, but I use MJPEG nonetheless, even for HD resolution. I'd rather limit the IPS in exchange for increased detail.

Please keep us informed regarding your impressions of IQEye. Those cameras are supported by Exacq.

Best,

Christopher

I would love to put two images side by side one H.264 and one MJPEG and see if you can identify the compressions.

So far with IQEye I have yet to see an image that I am impressed with. I just want to learn about them so I know how to sell when I am competing with them.

So far not including the Pro series the 5MP box camera is the best image I have seen from a ip camera.

Sorry cant post pricing

Best,

Christopher

I would love to put two images side by side one H.264 and one MJPEG and see if you can identify the compressions.

So far with IQEye I have yet to see an image that I am impressed with. I just want to learn about them so I know how to sell when I am competing with them.

So far not including the Pro series the 5MP box camera is the best image I have seen from a ip camera.

Sorry cant post pricing

Do you mean the 5MP Avigilon box camera?

thewireguys:

Are you liking this Avigilon software better than Exacq? And why or why not? What have you found that one can do over the other better?

I am still hoping to upgrade to IP soon (things have been crazy-busy with my job and travel lately) and had my mind set on Exacq. Some of the things I like about Exacq are that it does not use active x (so pretty much any browser will work) and it has an iphone app. Can you comment on those two things in regards to Avigilon? Those two things kind of have me sold because at my office, they have our browsers locked down so that we can't use active x. Also, I go on travel a lot for my job and spend lots of time at client sites and in the airport, so the iphone app would be great for me since I find myself away from a computer for extended periods of time occasionally.

Also, if you have time, maybe you could PM me the pricing for Avigilon and any other comments that you have about it.

Regards,

William

thewireguys:

Are you liking this Avigilon software better than Exacq? And why or why not? What have you found that one can do over the other better?

I am still hoping to upgrade to IP soon (things have been crazy-busy with my job and travel lately) and was thinking about using Exacq. Some of the things I like about Exacq are that it does not use active x (so pretty much any browser will work), it's lightweight, and it has an iphone app. Can you comment on those two things in regards to Avigilon?

Also, if you have time, maybe you could PM me the pricing for Avigilon and any other comments that you have about it.

Regards,

William

I knew someone would ask me this.

Exacq:

Works on everything Windows Linux MAC Ipad,Iphone Andriod without active x

Low CPU requirements

One license fee for cameras + Enterprise upgrade license (only for large multi server setups)

Small footprint, Reliable, easy one click install and upgrade

Exports video to its own exe file. no need for players and/or codecs

Multi monitor support

Avigilon:

Faster at everything, Searching video of multiple megapixel cameras is instant

Redundant storage and backups of video

You can do thumbnail and pixel searching (saves so much time)

Full featured web client (must use EI)

No problems streaming and reviewing recorded MP video remotely. almost instant

Plug and play cameras (if you use Avigilon cameras you know they will work)

No upgrade fees included in license fee

Both are tools and you need to know what you want. I have found my 2 VMS partners if I could put these 2 together as one it would be the best solution but for right now I am very very happy. I can not wait to show my customer tomorrow

Thanks, Mike.

I checked out Avigilon's website the other day to learn a bit about their software. It was nice, but I felt that it wasnt quite as informative/detailed as Exacq's website is for the VMS, which is why I asked all those questions.

If you had to choose one for your home to run 8 IP cameras, which would it be, and why?

I will check out their website again and keep an open mind.

Will you PM me with the cost of Avigilon's license (do they do it per camera, like Exacq?).

Thanks,

William

Are you serious? For which camera? Does the scene include low-light moving detail or a well-lit stationary wall with drying paint?

I'm not sure which is which here. Can you say this again and include Manufacturers and/or Models. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Christopher

Are you serious? For which camera? Does the scene include low-light moving detail or a well-lit stationary wall with drying paint?

AXIS, ARECONT IQI, Sanyo whatever model you want.

I'm not sure which is which here. Can you say this again and include Manufacturers and/or Models. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Christopher

As for the 5MP box camera I am talking about Avigilon. As for IQIeye any camera from them I have yet to be impressed with any video or image.

OK, post your challenge photos. The scene must including some moving detail such as a vehicle from a megapixel camera. The MJPEG image must be full resolution. I'll send you a Starbucks card if I can't tell the difference.

Best,

Christopher

OK, post your challenge photos. The scene must including some moving detail such as a vehicle from a megapixel camera. The MJPEG image must be full resolution. I'll send you a Starbucks card if I can't tell the difference.

Best,

Christopher

Ok we will have MJpeg, Mpeg4, H.264 and Jpeg2000. See if you can identify which codec for each image. You get it right and I will knock 5% off your next order