ChrisH

Ubiquiti - what do there products do exactly?

Pretty much what the subject says. I read some past posts about using some of their products to wirelessly transmitt video. They don't have much info on their website. At least for the uninformed like me. Just curious what there products do and where they are applicable. Thanks for the help.

They are high powered WIFI APs that you can configure for Point-to-Point and Muilt Point Wifi links. All they do if for video is transmit it and they work with IP encoders and IP cameras.

Ok, that is what I was thinking. So basically, if I had a camera away from a building that the CCTV electronics were housed in, I would just take a network cable (Cat 5e) to one of these and mount it to the outside of the building to recieve and mount another by my camera to send. Basically they bridge the network through the open air? Are they hard to set up or fairly basic. The possibilities seem endless with something like this.

Ok, that is what I was thinking. So basically, if I had a camera away from a building that the CCTV electronics were housed in, I would just take a network cable (Cat 5e) to one of these and mount it to the outside of the building to recieve and mount another by my camera to send. Basically they bridge the network through the open air? Are they hard to set up or fairly basic. The possibilities seem endless with something like this.

As long as its an IP camera

There's other wireless technology available for regular CCTV cameras.

As mentioned wireless is not as easy as it sounds.

Doing wireless correctly is not easy and there is a lot more to it the just pointing them at each other.

This is true.

You have to get the encryption configured, set your channel spacing to account for interference, determine how much bandwidth you're actually going to need, route/mount your APs/bridges appropriately, work around obstructions and other LOS issues...

It can sometimes take a significant amount of work to get these things to talk to one another reliably.

For more information, you can start here, at the Ubiquiti wiki... http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/Main_Page, take a look at "Transparent Bridging using two UBNT devices", that is probably the most common scenario when using this type of equipment.

I have found that the Ubiquiti equipment performs as well or better than equipment costing three times or more, and use it frequently.

Having said that, I use direct wired connections whenever possible, for the best reliability.

A great primer on wireless networking is available for free at "Wireless Networking in the Developing World", http://wndw.net/download.html.

It is a comprehensive overview of wireless and conventional networking technology, in a very usable format.

For more information, you can start here, at the Ubiquiti wiki... http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/Main_Page, take a look at "Transparent Bridging using two UBNT devices", that is probably the most common scenario when using this type of equipment.

I have found that the Ubiquiti equipment performs as well or better than equipment costing three times or more, and use it frequently.

Having said that, I use direct wired connections whenever possible, for the best reliability.

A great primer on wireless networking is available for free at "Wireless Networking in the Developing World", http://wndw.net/download.html.

It is a comprehensive overview of wireless and conventional networking technology, in a very usable format.

Thanks

As long as its an IP camera

There's other wireless technology available for regular CCTV cameras.

Or you could add video-to-IP servers to put your analog cameras on the network...

ΛΛΛΛ That's always an option, and if you run IP cameras that have their own free recording software (Acti, etc), and use an inexpensive PC as your recorder, the cost premium of the IP cameras can be well offset by the reduced cost of the recorder and the wireless IP link (keep in mind, multiple IP cameras can run on one IP link, where analog wireless transmitters requires one for each channel of video).

And, the increased image quality and resolution of IP cameras may require less cameras to accomplish the goal, depending on conditions.

For example, a good quality analog wireless link rated for 1+ mile retails for well over $1000.00, and that doesn't include PTZ control capability, or two way audio capability (add another thousand or so for that).....

Cost for Ubiquiti equipment to accomplish that distance link- under $160.00, MSRP. (which can comfortably run several cameras or more, at well over a mile)...That leaves a lot of room for better cameras and recording equipment, or analog to Ethernet encoders.

ΛΛΛΛ That's always an option, and if you run IP cameras that have their own free recording software (Acti, etc), and use an inexpensive PC as your recorder, the cost premium of the IP cameras can be well offset by the reduced cost of the recorder and the wireless IP link (keep in mind, multiple IP cameras can run on one IP link, where analog wireless transmitters requires one for each channel of video).

And, the increased image quality and resolution of IP cameras may require less cameras to accomplish the goal, depending on conditions.

For example, a good quality analog wireless link rated for 1+ mile retails for well over $1000.00, and that doesn't include PTZ control capability, or two way audio capability (add another thousand or so for that).....

Cost for Ubiquiti equipment to accomplish that distance link- under $160.00, MSRP. (which can comfortably run several cameras or more, at well over a mile)...That leaves a lot of room for better cameras and recording equipment, or analog to Ethernet encoders.

The possibilities are great. I can think of some situations where this could be a good solution, especailly for retrofits.

Pretty much what the subject says. I read some past posts about using some of their products to wirelessly transmitt video. They don't have much info on their website. At least for the uninformed like me. Just curious what there products do and where they are applicable. Thanks for the help.

Hello friend, I came across your post. and i just wanna share my idea of what i know and I have used ubiquiti for a wireless IP Surveillance project in The Philippines. we installed 24 IP Speed Dome Camera Hikvision and they were all connected using Ubiquiti Radios (AP and CPE)

below are the Pics..

113020092800429-1.jpg

112820092802329-1.jpg

Image0137-1.jpg

Image0089-1.jpg

Image0047-1.jpg

Image0123-1.jpg

Tested and has been running for 1year plus now...

Edited by Guest

Yikes! No bucket truck for those light poles?!

Anyone else see that flimsy looking metal pole leaning near power lines? That's all around a pretty scarry insall buddy. Lol

Anyone else see that flimsy looking metal pole leaning near power lines? That's all around a pretty scarry insall buddy. Lol

Yep... that one has electrocution written all over it.

They Are actually not high poles.. and those are not high tension wires..Those are telephone cables..

Yes.. it is.. [aluminum]

Given that fiberglass ladders are typically heavier and more expensive than aluminum ladders, why do you suppose installers bother to purchase them?

Best,

Christopher

Yes.. it is.. [aluminum]

Given that fiberglass ladders are typically heavier and more expensive than aluminum ladders, why do you suppose installers bother to purchase them?

Best,

Christopher

Oo, I know, I know!

They're non-conductive and safer if you're working anywhere in the vicinity of high voltage.