shah456

Upgraded the PC for my DVR and now it keeps freezing!!

Hey guys,

I am using an OSC DVR 8 channel card which I had in an old P4 Dell computer. It had 4gb ram, a couple hard drive, and a dedicated AGP video card. The computer was getting old so I decided to upgrade.

I built a new PC with an intel quad core cpu, 4gb ddr2 ram, 1tb hd, and i'm using the on board graphics card of my gigabyte motherboard.

With the new PC, everything runs fine if you don't open the OSC DVR software. When you open the DVR software, it will run smooth for about 30 minutes and then the PC freezes. We have tried a bunch of different things, currently we have only 2 cameras plugged into the DVR card and it does not freeze at all.

My gut is telling me that I should just buy a dedicated PCI-express video card and that will solve the problem. What do you guys think? Also do you recommend any specifc video card?

Can't say for this one in particular, but a lot of PC-based DVR systems require you disable hyperthreading for proper operation... you might try that (look in the system BIOS).

Are you saying with just 2 cameras it does not freeze?

Anyway, I would look at the hard drive.

The onboard video on most modern chipsets is sufficient.

yes we have only 2 cameras plugged in, for a few weeks now and it has been running without a hitch. The hard drive seems fine, the pc works fine when the dvr software is not open and when only a couple cameras are connected. I really get the feeling it is the video card.