Sign in to follow this  
Fiona

Pelco Spectra IV vs Hikvision vs Dahua Speed Domes

I realise that it is impossible to jump to any absolute conclusion on the efficacy, reliability and ease of installation of one brandname dome versus another, but are there opinions about which domes have the least issues? There must be some standout examples. The criterion for me is HEAT affecting decoder board longevity; ease of parts supply and technical support. Dahua has a useful online support page but their parts supply is incomparable to Pelco. Hikvision claim their speed domes work at a blistering 65 Degrees Celcius - but who knows? What matters here is actual front-line experience; In The Field, Sun-In-The-Lens empirical know how.

Dear Fiona,

I think this problem may confuse many people, but it is simple. The only way can make you trust is testing and feedback from your clients after a long time. Sometimes, it is difficult to make choose, just like some like IBM, some like DELL, in laptop. We are confident on our product, every parameter we gave out is from testing and testing again. And sometime you must think of many factors, like cost, quality....

I think the reason you don't know how to deal with it is that you don't know much enough about products, I suggest you to find more information about it, thanks a lot for your attention on Hikvision.

Best day for you!

Terrence, I don't want to be punctilious, but Hikvision lists two maximum operating temperatures on different Hikvision PDFs. Some say 65 degrees Celcius, others say 60 degrees Celcius. That is why I am putting the problem of HEAT affecting decoder boards on the Forum. I hope to hear about the issues and opinions of PTZ domes in hot climates.

I can't find any studies by Pelco about HEAT affecting their brand of PTZ Domes,

however, Pelco are obviously aware of the HEAT problem.

Pelco undertook a painstaking study on the affect of HEAT on the Endura Systems:

http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/85257689000007EE/all/6002A200897D645E852577CF0008B114/$File/c2670m.pdf

I suspect Pelco knows exactly the lifespan and failure rates of their Spectra Domes based on an induction gleaned from thousands of Spectra IIIs & Spectra IVs installed for years in hot (115 Degrees Fahrenheit) climates worldwide.

A dredge from the past, but I was reading a newer post by yourself and it referenced an older (this) discussion.

Pelco state on their PTZ's (Spectra and the HD) datasheets a Maximum Temp of 50C and an Absolute maximum of 60C.

WTF does that mean ??

Well, according to the A&E; the Absolute maximum of 60C is for only two hours.

Given that there is an alarm for temperature in the dome for on screen alaert of email et al, I imagine that they are also storing the max temp attained and duration into non-volatile in case of any warranty issues arising from high temperatures.

Also what people tend to forget is that these are the internal dome temps, not the ambient. So welcome to the Middle East, where internal temperatures may well get above 50C depending on location and mounting arrangements.

It would be interesting to see the failure rates - fat chance !

Given the opertunities in MENA, I imagine that Pelco are quietly replacing them even when they fail on bigger projects due to over temperature.