cglaeser

hard drive maintenance and recovery

Is SpinRite sill the gold standard for hard drive maintenance and recovery? Do you have any other favorite utilities?

Best,

Christopher

SpinRite has worked several times for me, I have also used HDDRegenerator, on the older Hiren's bootCD (It has a ton of other good utilities on it, too), and it's free....Google it....

The newer Hiren's has HDAT2 4.53, supposed to do the same thing, although I haven't tried it.

For a Windows-based utility, check out Unstoppable Copier from www.roadkil.net (among other great free utilities!). I've had it recover corrupted files several times, as it will keep trying as many times as you tell it to. Also handy for regular copy/move processes without the usual Windows "Are you sure?" idiot popups.

GetDataBack.for.NTFS

Thanks. I purchased a copy of GetDataBack for NTFS and was able to extract all the data from an otherwise inaccessible drive.

Recently I used SpinRite to restore a bad drive, but I don't think SpinRite can restore drives attached via USB (it did not recognize the USB drive on one system I tested). Are there any utilities with functionality similar to SpinRite that can restore a bad drive that will recognize USB drives?

Best,

Christopher