thewireguys

Rhino Label makers

I'd love to get one, but I can't afford it out my own pocket, and the boss doesn't want to spring for one because he figures we don't label things enough to make it worthwhile (maybe that's because we don't HAVE a labeller??)

What I do:

1) use white siamese cable

2) use some super 33 tape (white/yellow/red/blue) & write on it with a sharpie.

But really, other than the random "24vac" or whatever, what is that important to label? Not much, it seems, to me.

You're just talking about labeling cable, though... there are lots of other things to be labeled on a job. Like power supplies and/or power supply channels. On intercoms, I make labels marking which channel is what. Anything that's going to be in view of the customer or the public, just looks a lot more professional with a proper label rather than sharpie-on-PVC.

You're just talking about labeling cable, though... there are lots of other things to be labeled on a job. Like power supplies and/or power supply channels. On intercoms, I make labels marking which channel is what. Anything that's going to be in view of the customer or the public, just looks a lot more professional with a proper label rather than sharpie-on-PVC.

Plus IP addresses and lots of other stuff.

Righting on the wire if OK for rough-ins but not for final install.

We have about 5 of the ptouch brother products and we like them as you can get the industrial tape and they have programming for patch panel cables etc. Everyone has a 40.00 one on their truck and we have a couple of the high end ones. You can get a large number of different tapes an any office supply store. Personally I think that lableing is one of the most important parts of an install. Troubleshooting on a large install a couple of years down the road is a big problem if you are trying to track down wires. If the customer is going to see it a printed lable makes a better impression than something done in sharpi.

I'd love to use proper labels even for roughing-in wire - the printable heat-shrink stuff. Writing directly on the wire is fine, but I've often seen it get rubbed off through the pull. With dark-colored wire, you have to use the "silver metallic" sharpie, which is far less durable than the permanent black... or you have to wrap light-colored tape, but I've often seen tape come off once you start putting lube on the wire.

Of course we have several models of ptouch label makers, one of which can print a 1.25?" label - it's USB only, & I haven't figured out how to use it in the 8 years that I've owned it (lol). I bought it to put the company logo, model, & serial # on gear we repair.

I've bought a lot of heat shrink lately, & there's interesting looking printers for that I have stumbled across: http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heat-shrink-label-printers/index.htm#K3100

I'd like to find one thats big enough to slip over a BNC connector yet will shrink to ~1/8" like the wires on standard DVR dongles (my use for this 'interest' is not in the CCTV realm).

I don't know about the 1 and 1/4 tape but the 1 inch can be printed on several different brother printers.

When we are pulling a lot of data wire we use a panduit program called ez-mark and pre print sheets of lables these wrap around the cables and we have not had a problem with them coming off. We supply two sets to the guys running wire they then have to match up both ends if they are off they can correct right away so the patch panels and outlets match up. when we were writing on wires somebody would screw up and get a duplicate and then it was a mess. Costs big bucks to fix as several hours can be involved.

we use labelers for all the network cabling we do. but we use the cheap wal-mart lablers. They don't stick well on cable directly, so what you do is space out 10 large font spaces at the end of what you are going to print and when you have it cut, you wrap it around the cable you are identifying and then stick it to itself, kinda like you would on a wristband, only thing is you have a long tail on it with the identifying information. I don't see a reason in ever spending that much money for a labeler and we use ours alot. I think ours are the $15 ones from walmart with replacement cartridges costing like $4.