rlarez86

Testers

I would like to know what most of you guys use as testers for the low voltage meters. As well as maybe to know what the LAN testers would be for the Cat-5.

I would like to know what most of you guys use as testers for the low voltage meters.

Pretty much any basic multimeter will do 99% of what you need. I have about a half-dozen of them, from a little credit-card-sized Radio Shack meter that I carry in my tool pouch, to a couple of bargain units from a clearance store, to a really nice Fluke clamp-on meter that I found in an attic. As often as not, the one I use is the one that is easiest to find in my work van at that moment

As well as maybe to know what the LAN testers would be for the Cat-5.

We have a Test-Um LanRoamer Pro TP-600 (actually, the TP-607 kit, which is this unit with seven extra termination modules, for doing network IDs). Great tool, and not that expensive.

The issues I am having with the RadioShack tester I have is that I deal with voltage from 12v or 24v, and anywhere from 5mA to 10Amp things, so not a whole lot of them, and have bought and returned two of the RadioShack brands because they are faulty or do not work...

The issues I am having with the RadioShack tester I have is that I deal with voltage from 12v or 24v, and anywhere from 5mA to 10Amp things, so not a whole lot of them, and have bought and returned two of the RadioShack brands because they are faulty or do not work...

i have used one of these for 10 years never let me down. testing is a major part of any install and looking for faults your meter is your best friend.

flux T5

M082618W01-1.jpg

Well, I've had mine for about 16-17 years, so maybe their quality control isn't as good now as it was then (or more to the point, maybe they've changed OEM suppliers). Although I will admit, the test leads are becoming intermittent where they enter the unit, but I'm sure that has more to do with the regular flexing they see... they are only 18ga. stranded wire, after all.

I think I've had to measure current, oh, maybe three times in the 7+ years I've been working in CCTV.

I use a Fluke 115 meter. It does like everything. Its kinda expensive, but the quality is wonderful, with many nice features, lit a backlit display, min/max tests, etc. Plus, the backlit can be set to never go off, which is wonderful for working at night/dark areas. Accuracy is quite good. Some would say its bulky, but it can be purchased with a belt clip, and has a little flip out stand. It's also very rugged, thick and strong plastic. I've droped it onto concrete from about 10' before, works great!

Its also perfect for creating/testing circuits and messing with micro-controllers and such, (anyone else play with Atmel uC's?)

Key features for use in CCTV:

-Voltage measurement in DC and AC, from .01 volts to 600 volts. (Also has a mV setting for .0001 volt and above)

-Amperage measurement from .001 amps to 10 amps.

-Beeping Continuity test

-Resistance measurement from .001 ohms to like 100M ohms

It also measures frequency of AC in Hertz, measures capacitance, and has a diode test! Really, every time I use it, I'm like "Man, I'm happy I bought this...!" Oh, and the probes are nice and long, made with quality wire.

Im using some cheap chinese meter Ive had for the past several years, takes a beating and keeps on going .. had to change the leads once, was cheaper than buying a new meter. Its not small but big enough to hold in the hand .. has everything I need for Alarms and CCTV.

We have a JDSU 955 for certifing data networks. It is nice as it saves jobs on a sd card and it has the multiple remotes if you just want to wire map. We also have the standard wiremappers which we use to test a couple of drops here and there. They run around 80.00. I like having a record of the results if issues come up later. Multi meters are whatever we have laying around.

I also use the JDSU device to certify every cat5 and cat6 run we do.

Which "JDSU" unit are you using? The first one that popped up cost $3500.

My fluke Lan 650 is functional but becoming dated.

I prefer accurate VOM meters & I always go with Fluke, that's what I provide my techs too. Now getting them to recognize the value of a K or an M or a G on the screen - good thing there's cell phones.

the 955 runs about 1500-1600. They also send you firmware upgrades for free. Includes software to set up your test schedule and you can have a printout for several different types of cable.