Going off some people's recommendations on this forum, I blindly bought a pair of CNB VBM-24VF cameras without looking into the details. These cameras are more fancy than what I pictured.

In regards to placement, how precise do you have to be? Does the camera auto-adjust or can it be adjusted from within the Geovision software that came with my GV-650?

As far as wiring goes, what kind of wire do I use and on the little green jack, which one is + and - ?

Thanks for the help " title="Applause" />

So since this camera can take 24VAC or 12VDC, there is no positive or negative connection. Hard thing to accept, I know!

For power wire, you can use 18/2 (18 gauge, 2 conductor) wire. Basically, speaker wire. You can really use anything with a fair gauge, say bigger than 22g.

For video, use RG59 cable, or you can use cat5 cable with a balun at each end. You can also use extra wires in the cat5 to power the camera!

OK, maybe I didn't make myself clear: I AM A MORON! " title="Applause" />

The cam has two wires: A green one with a little box and a yellow wire with a connector that looks kinda like an RCA jack.

Am I supposed to take speaker wire and connect the green wire to the transformer? After that, how do I connect the camera?

The yellow connector out the back is the video. The green is power, and as Adam says, can use AC or DC power, no worry about polarity.

The separate little wire with the RCA jack is for the service connector - you'll notice the small white plug on the other end matches a plug on the side board inside the camera. The idea with that is it lets you connect a monitor to aim and adjust the camera, after it's been mounted (since the rear BNC output usually won't be accessible at that point).

Yes, you can use speaker wire, bell wire, phone wire, or just about any kind of wire to connect it to your transformer or power supply. Using Cat5, as Adam suggests, you can use one pair of wire with a pair of baluns to connect to the video (I use the blue pair), and the other pairs for power (I use the green pair for ground or neutral, orange for positive or "hot").

No, you're not able to control the camera remotely; it's not a PTZ. If it's a model that includes RS-485 support (rare), you CAN access the menus remotely, but I doubt that's the case with yours.

The cameras DO have auto-iris lenses, so they'll self-adjust to changing lighting conditions... but outside that, you'll have to climb up to the camera with a service monitor to aim, zoom and focus manually.

I always thought pretty much all of CNB's cameras had RS485 (Pelco D) ability? Surely there must be a header on the PCB in there for it somewhere?

Maybe I will e-mail them about it...

I see it listed as an "option" on the box on the ones I put in, but I've never seen a connector for it. If they were going to have one, I'd think it should be coming out the back with the other cables, through the grommet-sealed hole. Would be kinda silly to just leave it as a header on the internal board.

The cam has two wires: A green one with a little box and a yellow wire with a connector that looks kinda like an RCA jack.

Am I supposed to take speaker wire and connect the green wire to the transformer? After that, how do I connect the camera?

the green one is your power for the camera. and the yellow is just a little test lead so as you can focus and set your camera while at the camera end. (you remove it before you replace the camera cover.

I always thought pretty much all of CNB's cameras had RS485 (Pelco D) ability? Surely there must be a header on the PCB in there for it somewhere?

Maybe I will e-mail them about it...

No, only some of the domes do such as the 34VF blue-i models, most of the box cameras have it.

Green is the power, using RG59 Siamese connect red and black to either side, polarity does not matter in this case.

Yellow RCA jack is for a service monitor. This should have come as an add on only, in other words not previously connected to the camera.

The other cable is the BNC video, put BNC connector on the end of your RG59 coax and connect that to the Camera's BNC - twist and lock.

It may come focused, most times it does. This is a manual zoom camera meaning not a Pan Tilt with Zoom lens, but instead it has a varifocal lens which is manually adjustable at the camera during installation - if you adjust the zoom you have to also refocus it.