MarcusLowe

CCTV over Network

Hi guys, im new here...(don't give me a hard time haha)

Anyway, i need to setup a CCTV system for my local community centre, they have 4 sites that need CCTV hooking up then the security view it in the main site.

Could anyone please give me an insight into this?

Sorry you've probably heard this question quite alot of times and fed up of explaining?

Give me info on best CCTV systems on a budget too.

Much Appreciated

Hello! Welcome!

I think you'll find everyone here very friendly... The only thing pros get upset over is when people choose not to take the time to explain the environment and application.

A one-size-fits-all CCTV system just doesn't exist. They are way too many variables...

Also, I can assure you you're not doing yourself any favors by buying the cheapest thing available.

Help us help you.

Anyway, i need to setup a CCTV system for my local community centre, they have 4 sites that need CCTV hooking up then the security view it in the main site.

Can we assume the four sites are on four different LANs?

Best,

Christopher

There will be a router in each building, in the main building they will be a server.

I didnt even get hired for the CCTV i'm a web designer/IT Technician!

I really could do to ask them a budget, i think it will be something around £2k to £3k.

Thanks

It certainly is possible! If you're an IT guy, you should have no problem setting up a VPN between the sites and your security center. Use DVRs with a good VMS that supports viewing multiple sites in one application, and you're off to the races (I'll leave it to others to suggest models - the Vigils I'm familiar with will do it nicely, but would probably be outside your budget - I assume that "£2k to £3k" is total for the project?).

How many cameras are you looking at per site? Are these sites all the same?

Is it possible to have it seperate from the VPN, and have it on a web host or something?

Sorry i'm a complete noob with CCTV at the moment.

Thanks for helping.

Use DVRs with a good VMS that supports viewing multiple sites in one application, and you're off to the races

+1.

Some VMS apps make this very easy to do. The client VMS can connect to multiple remote VMS servers and, subject to connection rates, everything will work as though it was local.

Best,

Christopher

Most DVRs have built-in webservers that allow you to view the cameras through a browser (many are limited to IE because they use ActiveX). If you have an internet connection on each site, it should be easy enough to just point a browser at the site (with the proper router setup) and view the DVR. That will generally require a separate browser window or tab for each site, though - not the most convenient.

The VMS app shouldn't need a VPN though; that just makes things more secure.

Is it possible to have it seperate from the VPN, and have it on a web host or something?

Sorry i'm a complete noob with CCTV at the moment.

Thanks for helping.

how many cameras are you looking at each location. you could just have all the same dvrs and a good CMS software.