Dirk_D

HTPC & Ways to rip my DVD collection to a hard drive

I'm looking to build a dedicated HTPC in the near future. I currently have my notebook docked which is nice, but the video doesn't scale exactly right and well it's not what I'm looking for.

I'd like to stay within the law while moving my ~150 DVD collection to the basement, next to my CDs. Ideally, the software will start to rip whenever I throw a DVD into the drive. OK so there may be issues w/ netflix.

I don't sub to cable, haven't for years, so I'll add an off-air HD tuner card (already have one), BD & HD DVD drives.

If anyone has a killer setup let me know other things to look for.

I'm looking to build a dedicated HTPC in the near future. I currently have my notebook docked which is nice, but the video doesn't scale exactly right and well it's not what I'm looking for.

I'd like to stay within the law while moving my ~150 DVD collection to the basement, next to my CDs. Ideally, the software will start to rip whenever I throw a DVD into the drive. OK so there may be issues w/ netflix.

I don't sub to cable, haven't for years, so I'll add an off-air HD tuner card (already have one), BD & HD DVD drives.

If anyone has a killer setup let me know other things to look for.

Well big subject to talk about

I rip DVD my self but lately get file from internet...

for HTPC use Sagetv for last few years and love it

by the way Sage will play DVD if u want

and do home automation and security cams and more

Is ripping DVDs legal in North America?

Yes & no. We have the right under the 'fair use recording act' to record a copy but not distribute it, but we have to circumvent a law or two to do that. I think the issue is with DRM, but MY issue is getting the DVDs off of my shelf & into a box.

HDs are just so cheap, & I'd rather have books on the shelves (I'm a huge collector - errrr, buyer). Silly, I know, it looks like the books will join the DVDs in the basement within a few more years.