chief_lam

Need new suggestions.

Hello,

I am seeking suggestions on how to improve my current set up at my residence. I own a small security guard company and I have two marked patrol cars parked in the street I want to keep a close eye on. I have a 4 dome IR camera set up at home with the two cameras in front. All cameras are the LTS Brand [MODEL: LTCMD719] Specs Below.

* 1/3" Color Sony Super HAD CCD

* 540 TV Lines

* 36 IR

* 2.8mm~10mm

* Metal Case

* Dual Voltage Supported

* 3-Axis

and the 4CH LTS DVR [LTD7904] currently set up to D1 7FPS recording or other option CIF 30FPS.

I'm pleased with the playback of of the camera footage during the day, however reviewing playback footage at night time is not too great. Clarity of individuals walking up to my driveway and people looking into my patrol cars is not very easily identifiable, basically it would look like a stick figure walking across the screen. I need suggestions on possible different cameras or any other suggestions? I heard about the True Day & Night cameras?

nyrxhx-1.jpg

Here's a photo of the front of my home with the camera placements labeled.

5mn2ia-1.jpg

DAY

169g41c-1.jpg

NIGHT

Any help would be much be appreciated.

Thanks,

V. Lam

A TDN camera switches from color during the day to B/W at night. It also has an infrared filter that moves out of the way of the sensor at night to help it see better. Your cameras dont seem to have an IR filter at all - they can obviously see the IR they are putting out, but colors are off during the day because the IR is still coming in. I think your problem is these cameras are not very sensitive at night.

This would do you better:

http://cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1077

There are many 'shapes' of this same model here:

http://cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product_search.php?searchstr=24VF

For example the DBM-24VF is the same, just with a cheaper indoor-only housing.

If you need a better view of the cars I would put a camera in with similar viewpoint as 'Driveway' camera, but zoom all the way in.

the ir range of these cams according to the spec is 98ft, now i know for a fact that's bull, 8 to 9ft maybe!

the best and cheapest thing you can do here v.lam is zoom either/or both external cams right in so you're getting a closer view of the vehicles, you want to get yourself a decent 40m wide angle ir lamp. dont ask me the price of these im on the other side of the planet!

g'luck.

You need better cameras if you want to be able to identify anyone. I would also zoom in on the car, currently your are using a wide angle lens which really only good for an overview of things. Also your cameras do not have enough ir leds that is why you are getting that effect. Invest in a motion light or turn on your outside lights as it is really dark, that will help with picture clarity.

You need better cameras if you want to be able to identify anyone.

Not true. His cameras are wicked awesome cameras for the daytime, with great lighting, and for subjects up close!

I hope that's what they were designed for... if not, that's just CRAP false advertising!

I would also zoom in on the car, currently your are using a wide angle lens which really only good for an overview of things.

EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better...

Also your cameras do not have enough ir leds that is why you are getting that effect.

Sorry, I disagree. I think his real problem is the cameras natively perform poorly under low light conditions. Blasting IR will only add a band-aid to the real problem.

Obviously, you're correct... adding white light will make it better, but again another problem surfaces. Thats a residential neighborhood, light pollution is probably a concern. Not to mention, it's going to be tough to get lights and a motion sensor to reach out that far from the house.

My recommendation is to get a good quality box camera, minimum 50mm varifocal lens for a nice tight shot of the cars (you NEED this to get detail aka pixels per foot aka ppf on your target), and use a high intensity IR illuminator...with a tight throw width in order to reach the area.

Also, just another fyi: external housings for box cameras are cheap and easy to come by.... but you'll also get the "OMG look at that big ass camera!!!" effect if it's on a house. Good or bad? You decide. I wouldn't want it on my house... but that's just me. If I have residential clients with the same feelings/ needs to see things far away, I can usually get creative and get the box camera to see through the window so it eliminates the need for an unsightly housing.

I personally don't care for 90% of CNB's products... I've found others in that outperform for the same price range or cheaper but hey... whatever floats your boat.