jisun126

How much better image quality w/ name brand compared to ebay

Currently I have 4 CNB DFL-20S indoor camera.

I purchased a $170 4ch dvr from ebay. Everything hooked up and runs like a champ and not that I can compare to higher end DVR but the image looks great.

My questions is, if I were to purchase a quality brand name dvr like

AVerDiGi EH1004H-4 Nano, how much better would the image quality be? Is it marginal differences or will I be wowed? If marginally different then would I need to step up to a DVR costing in the $600-$900 range?

I'm sure I am paying for quality and loaded features, but I really only care about image quality but not sure if paying double, triple or quadruple that of the $170 ebay special.

Maybe my cnb indoor cameras wont bring out the true capability of a highend dvr?

Maybe something like the CNB VBM-24VF or VCM-24VF would I then notice what I am missing with higher end DVR.

Enlighten me...

Edited by Guest

Re; pricing. Please only post list prices if you must post the price, the prices you posted are dealer pricing. Thanks.

Currently I have 4 CNB DFL-20S indoor camera that cost me each $## shipped.

I purchased a $170 4ch dvr from ebay. Everything hooked up and runs like a champ and not that I can compare to higher end DVR but the image looks great.

My questions is, if I were to purchase a quality brand name dvr like

AVerDiGi EH1004H-4 Nano costing about $## shipped how much better would the image quality be? Is it marginal differences or will I be wowed? If marginally different then would I need to step up to a DVR costing in the $600-$900 range?

I'm sure I am paying for quality and loaded features, but I really only care about image quality but not sure if paying double, triple or quadruple that of the $170 ebay special.

Maybe my cnb indoor cameras wont bring out the true capability of a highend dvr?

Maybe something like the CNB VBM-24VF or VCM-24VF would I then notice what I am missing with higher end DVR.

Enlighten me...

The AverDigi is a hybrid unit so you will see a significant improvement in image quality with MP cameras over analog

If you are using your DVR for the main purpose of recording surveillance, then image quality is the most important thing you should look for in a DVR. If you are satisfied with your DVR and the recorded image, then why make a switch.

If you are asking if you will see a significant difference (using your current cameras) in image quality with your current DVR or by upgrading, here is a simple test that you can do to help answer your question. Run a camera directly into your monitor and bypass the DVR totally. If the image looks just as good (or maybe just a hair better) as it does after its recorded through your DVR, then no, you will not get a better recorded image by upgrading. However, if the image looks alot better ran directly into the monitor than it does after recording through your DVR. Then it is possible that your DVR is either recording in CIF rez or its highly compressing the video to make for a low quality image. This is using your current cameras.

If you want quite a significant change in image quality, then you can take thewireguys advice and get a hybrid, but that would also require that you buy megapixel cams too. However, it wont make your CNB cameras look any better.

To answer your question, we need to know more specifics about your ebay DVR. Problem is, most are rebranded and their true identity is "hidden"

Chances are I've used the DVR you have.... I know I've used the DVR you are considering......

One of the things you will find in real life tests and comparison on DVRs is not all spec sheets are created equal. Just because it can do X resolution at X fps... doesn't make it good or bad.

The image QUALITY can be great or suck for a number of reasons... codec? bit rate? processing power? color? depth? the complexity of the compression algorithms? quality of components? immunity to interference? the list goes on...

it's easy to get caught up in engineering, QC and design details... but ultimately you gotta just go for it.

SEANHWG: Thats a great way to test! That would probably be the easiest way to test without purchasing a highend unit.

BPZLE: I believe its some rebranded avtech as it works with their viewer and few other hints I see.

I guess my answer is if I want to upgrade to couple of MP cameras it would be worth the upgrade.

Great forum,

thanks guys!!

Again... make/ model is key to knowing if an upgrade is worth it.

I'd say if you ALREADY have something that gets the job done for your current cameras... unless you plan on purchasing MP cameras in the near future to me there's no point in investing in a hybrid today. DVRs makes/ models will come and go... technology is ever changing, improving, and getting cheaper. I'd say if you're happy with what you have today, stick with it.

Now, if you were starting out from scratch and had zero dollars already invested I'd say go hybrid and don't look back.... assuming it's in your budget.

Again... make/ model is key to knowing if an upgrade is worth it.

I'd say if you ALREADY have something that gets the job done for your current cameras... unless you plan on purchasing MP cameras in the near future to me there's no point in investing in a hybrid today. DVRs makes/ models will come and go... technology is ever changing, improving, and getting cheaper. I'd say if you're happy with what you have today, stick with it.

Now, if you were starting out from scratch and had zero dollars already invested I'd say go hybrid and don't look back.... assuming it's in your budget.

ditto

I also think if something is working for you and the price is right then sounds like you did it right. The only thing I see is a major difference than a name brand DVR and knock off brand is the warranty. Many DVR manufacturers are offering 3 and 5 year warranties. But if this is not important to you....then go with what you got!