AutoM8

Getting down to the specifics

So I have decided to purchase a 16 camera, 400FPS Geovision card, GV1480A PCI-Express 16Ch 400FPS with 16CH DSP, 16CH AUDIO

Also, to host the card, I have decided on this PC, as I will need this system to tuck away into a small area. http://us.shuttle.com/J3_5800P.aspx combined with a 3.0 GHZ i7 processor, and 8GB of DDR3 memory, and a few 2 TB drives. Anyone see anything wrong with this set up? From what I can tell, its got everything I need. I wont be accessing this system from the console much, so I think the on board graphics card will be sufficient. What do you think? I also am under the assumption that a setup like this will allow me to run traditional CCTV cameras, as well as adding Megapixel cameras later, as future budget allows? Also, would I be better off using two 8 camera cards?

You probably won't be able to fit two cards in that machine, at least not two of the same card - if it's anything like the other Shuttle systems I've used, it will have one PCI-e slot and one PCI slot.

You also won't fit "a few" drives in that - these cases typically have one 3.5" drive bay and two 5.25" bays: at most, you'll get maybe three, if you forgo the optical drive... and you'll need a lot of ventilation at that point. Keep that in mind for the "small space" this is going into.

Onboard graphics are fine for camera playback; you don't need extreme 3D performance or anything.

8GB RAM is useless unless you use a 64-bit OS; 32-bit OSes can't "see" more than about 3.5GB RAM.

Yes, you will be able to add IP cameras later, but those don't require a card.

If space is a concern, and you want lots of drive space (do you really NEED "a few 2TB drives??) consider just starting with IP cameras, and getting a RAID-based, ready-built NVR, like those from http://www.qnapsecurity.com... or NUUO or Synology, or a number of others.

Even if you build your own machine, very little memory and processor is required for just recording IP camera streams; you could do it with an Atom-based machine. The real processor is only needed for playback on your remote VMS. This would make for a much happier system if it's living in a "small space" as it won't generate as much heat.

Oh, wow this is potentially great news, as I have several small Atom systems around here as well. So you think the 16 camera 480 FPS card, with say a dozen cameras, can be handled by an Atom based system? That is excellent news. I already have Homeseer running on one of these Atom boxes in the same space (Dont worry its got plenty o vents). I had read somewhere that an I7 was necessary to handle a total of 16 cameras at 15 fps each. Or I could probably run Homeseer, the capture card, and a small city off of the same i7 in the space.. I plan to run 64bit Windows7 on this system, so I think the extra RAM and CPU wont go to waste.

Oh, wow this is potentially great news, as I have several small Atom systems around here as well. So you think the 16 camera 480 FPS card, with say a dozen cameras, can be handled by an Atom based system?

NO.

Processing analog video, even with a hardware-compression card, is much more processor-intensive. Depending on the NVR software, Atom is suitable for recording IP cameras, IF you're just recording them and not playing them back, because that requires very little processing - most NVR software just pulls the stream off the network and writes it to disk.