I'm ready to venture into the PDA phase of CCTV. I use I-View and saw in the forum where Hermin is using an IPAQ 6300.

Herman, Rory, anyone.... Is this the recommended PDA to use with I-View or is there a better solution. Someone at work stated that there is a PDA with phone out there that can use any carrier's SIMM card. Anyone know anything about being able to use multiple SIMMs?

As always, your responses are very much appreciated.

Bill

The Ipaq 6340 has a built in phone. You can put any sim card in.

I can connect up to my geovision systems using either the wireless lan connection or using the gprs on the sim card.

Battery doesn't last too long though

we used a basic Ipaq, dont know the model but was around $300.

Once it has Pocket PC 2003 then it will work.

The 6340 sounds good but it doesn't seem to be available in the US, maybe that's why multiple simms can be used. I'm taking a seriuos look at the 6325 because the 6315 processor is only 168MHZ. Not sure yet what the 6325 is.

Why not consider a Dell X50v, its state of the art at the moment.

You can buy a compact flash gprs card that will give you ie access at adsl speeds and work as a phone with supplied software.

I view can connect you through this method.

I have my Nokia 6320 connected to a Geovision system using a gprs connection, this gives me jpeg images which can be refreshed, its not quite live video but with limits due to bandwidth etc its a great feature and best of all its free

I use the Ipaq 6315, which is a PDA and Phone. It sells under the T-Mobile carrier, and it's $500.00 I get OK speed, around 3FPS total, only drawback is that I had to add the internet option to my plan, which is $20 a month, but I can browse the internet like I'm in a regular computer.

It's simple to use the I-VIEW software, but right now, I'm waiting for the new DVR system that VUESTAR is creating, supposed to be launched in August.

OK, Bob the B got me thinking about other than HP PDAs. Wanting more speed I chose to go with a 400 MHZ Siemens SX66, afterall I do work for Siemens. I want the faster chip because most viewing will be done via dial-up vs WIFI. Any reasons not to go this route?

I'll report back on how it works with I-View when I'm able. Here's the specs...

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/siemensSX66.htm

Personally i think they are too big to use as a regular phone.

It looks a good product though.

If it is based on the xda11 it will give you good performance,

my setut is a nokia 6230 for regular calls and the Dell for internet browsing.

I have a seperate contract for the Dell which is data only, it allows me to connect to the internet at adsl speed and download 75 mb per month for around $30.

I get 8fps on the Geovision

OK, changing direction once again. Now that I know I can access the Internet with just data service through the CF slot, the Siemens SX66 is out as well as any other PDA/Phone capable units, and the Dell X50v is my choice.

I'm still looking though... I'd like to find one that has all the options of the Dell but also has a digital camera. Anyone know of any?

Got the 730w working this weekend using Cingular GPRS service and I'm pretty impressed wit the VGA screen and all... it gives a very nice picture.

Just have it working over the internet so now I guess I have to buy a wireless access point, any recommendations?

Also, earlier in t the thread a FPS figure was given for I believe the Dell AXIM, how was that calculated or was it just an experienced guess. I'll post what I'm getting if I know how to interpret it.

Bill

Hey Bill.

The FPS was for the Ipaq. I Would recommend a Linksys Wireless router

Nice to hear you have it up and running.

Fps for the X50v is 8 as it tells you in the screen when you are connected to the Geo.