Dantis

I need a wireless camera with built in memory.

Hello everyone.

I am a total newbie at cctv so please excuse me if I ask silly or obvious questions.

I have a villa in Spain with electric gates, I would like to mount an IP wireless camera by the entrance to monitor for movement, however, due to limited bandwidth available I would like a camera with built in memory card like SD etc, so that when movement is detected it records the images to the card.

I have found a camera on eBay that has the in built card but is NOT wireless, it would need to be connected via a Cat 5 connector which is not ideal as it would mean running the cable all the way to the house. I have mains power at the gates.

Any suggestions or recommendations please, I don't want to spend too much, maybe about $200?

Thanks

Why not get an IP camera that fits your requirements, and couple it to a wireless bridge, like a Ubiquiti Nanostation?

You can get the wireless part for around $50-$80USD, and that would allow you to make any IP camera wireless, or even have multiple IP cameras/devices at the gate.

Hello everyone.

I am a total newbie at cctv so please excuse me if I ask silly or obvious questions.

I have a villa in Spain with electric gates, I would like to mount an IP wireless camera by the entrance to monitor for movement, however, due to limited bandwidth available I would like a camera with built in memory card like SD etc, so that when movement is detected it records the images to the card.

I have found a camera on eBay that has the in built card but is NOT wireless, it would need to be connected via a Cat 5 connector which is not ideal as it would mean running the cable all the way to the house. I have mains power at the gates.

Any suggestions or recommendations please, I don't want to spend too much, maybe about $200?

Thanks

hi. how far are you from the gate to your house. the problem with being in spain is everyone has something wireless 80% of home alarms are wirless and them alone will give you problems.

you must be one of the lucky ones to be able to get broadband in spain (silly money) you say you have limited bandwidth. this has nothing to do with you recording a camera .... only if you wish to watch your system over the internet. other than that you will not have a problem running a cable from your house to gate. what part of spain are you in.

I haven't had any experience with network over mains but I guess it's a possibility.

Anyone have any problems with these devices??

i used the netgear over mains it worked quite well. i would only use that option in running cable was impossable

you must be one of the lucky ones to be able to get broadband in spain (silly money) you say you have limited bandwidth. this has nothing to do with you recording a camera .... only if you wish to watch your system over the internet. other than that you will not have a problem running a cable from your house to gate. what part of spain are you in.

LOL, excuse me...?!?!? Last time I checked Spain was not part of Africa, everyone who wants broadband can have it over here. Our connections might not be the same as the ones let's say in Korea, but broadband here surely is not a luxury, but commonplace...

LOL, excuse me...?!?!? Last time I checked Spain was not part of Africa, everyone who wants broadband can have it over here. Our connections might not be the same as the ones let's say in Korea, but broadband here surely is not a luxury, but commonplace...

yes you get broadband ............ but i said expensive. which it is. two places we set up alicante and malage. only broadband there is with telifonica set-up cost 1200euros ($2000) that is expensive. and it limited

yes you get broadband ............ but i said expensive. which it is. two places we set up alicante and malage. only broadband there is with telifonica set-up cost 1200euros ($2000) that is expensive. and it limited

It is not. Really, I would know what I am talking about, I live in Spain, I have currently 4 broadband connections, and I used to be on the business of internet cafes/lan gaming centers, so I have had plenty of internet connections (dozens over the last 20 years, starting with modem and ISDN, ADSL, SDSL, cable, LMDS, 3G, FTTH..)

Telefonica's ADSL 10Mb/800kbps is currently 40,90EUR+18% tax monthly (first 12 months are 26,90EUR+18% tax). Set up used to be free as long as you keep your connection for a minimum of 12/18 months, but most companies now do not enforce this any more and will not pay you any cancellation fee if you change to another company before those 12/18 months. And Telefonica is probably the most expensive broadband provider we have over here.

We do get slower connections for the same price than most northern european countries, but they are surely not expensive.

No idea on what connections you would have subscribed to with a 1200EUR setup cost...

It is not. Really, I would know what I am talking about, I live in Spain, I have currently 4 broadband connections, and I used to be on the business of internet cafes/lan gaming centers, so I have had plenty of internet connections (dozens over the last 20 years, starting with modem and ISDN, ADSL, SDSL, cable, LMDS, 3G, FTTH..)

Telefonica's ADSL 10Mb/800kbps is currently 40,90EUR+18% tax monthly (first 12 months are 26,90EUR+18% tax). Set up used to be free as long as you keep your connection for a minimum of 12/18 months, but most companies now do not enforce this any more and will not pay you any cancellation fee if you change to another company before those 12/18 months. And Telefonica is probably the most expensive broadband provider we have over here.

We do get slower connections for the same price than most northern european countries, but they are surely not expensive.

No idea on what connections you would have subscribed to with a 1200EUR setup cost...

you live in spain. you will find it is alot more money for none Spanish resident. (like the op) everything has to be paid upfront. calpe is a small town home phone and broadband you can only get from telifonica no other isp in clape. if your phone line is not shared then you have the full cost.

you live in spain. you will find it is alot more money for none Spanish resident. (like the op) everything has to be paid upfront. calpe is a small town home phone and broadband you can only get from telifonica no other isp in clape. if your phone line is not shared then you have the full cost.

(off topic...)

If by paid upfront you mean you might have to pay 12 or 18 months; no you don't (it doesn't make a difference if you are spanish/foreigner, or if you are spanish resident/are not).

A phone line costs the same by law no matter where you live in Spain; Telefonica, which used to be a monopoly, must install it in a given ammount of time, and it will cost the same if you live on a big city, or if you live on a ranch by yourself away from civilization.

ADSL also has the same price no matter where you live. It does happen that if you live in rural areas, or very far away from your "centralita (telephone center), you might only be able to subscribe to slower speed ADSL (which will also be cheaper). At home I have 12mbps/1mbps cable connection, I can have up to 50mbps/5mbps cable (at 64,90€+18% tax), but last time I checked years ago if I was to get ADSL, I was only able to get 3mbps download speed.

You can get ADSL from other companies in Calpe and everywhere else; Telefonica MUST lease their telephone lines to all other ISPs, again, by law.

No idea on what you might mean with a "shared" phone, there is no such thing as shared phones here...

I really do not know what you paid for with those 1200€, but either it was not a normal internet connection (consumer or small business), or it was a ripoff. If it is some ultra high speed connection, fiber optic, frame relay, etc, I wouldn't know the prices on those, but that wouldn't make broadband in Spain "something expensive", and that surely wouldn't make those of us who have broadband "lucky".

I think everyone is getting off-topic, the OP never even mentioned using a WAN connection, from what I gathered from his post, he thinks that a wireless bridge to his house would not have enough bandwidth, and he needs memory at the cam.

A good wireless bridge (a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation M5's, or similar) should have more than enough bandwidth for several cameras, without needing memory at the camera, assuming a clear line of sight between the house and gate.

However, a good quality IP camera will run over his budget of $200, that barely covers the cost of the wireless link portion.