Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps comment on how fesable it would be to record offsite?

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

4xVivotek PoE Ip-kamera's(1x8361, 3xFD8134) - At the lack of knowing about better camera's

Cisco router with PoE -> Internet router(From ISP) -> Wan connection(20 mbit / 4 mbit) -> My house(Recorder)

I'm basically thinking of having the camera's placed at the location I want to record(Location A), but I want the recordings themselves to be offsite like at my own house.

Do you think a 4 mbit(Roughly 400 kb/s upload) is enough bandwith to send the feed from 4 camera's via the Internet to my house (Where I will place a PC that will record what's happening on the camera's) ?

The reason is that we've had our DvR stolen before, so it'd be perfect if I can just connect via the Internet to the camera's and record from there.

You could do it, if you dialed back the bandwidth requirements of the cameras (lower resolution or framerates, higher compression). Might want to see if your ISP puts bandwidth caps on your service, though, or if there are any overage charges. Assuming you were running full upstream bandwidth 24/7 (not likely, but for the sake of calculation, we'll assume that), that's over 34 *gigabytes per day*. (0.4MB * 60s * 60m * 24h = 34,560MB.)

It should normally be much less than that, of course, but you want to cover your arse before you end up either with the internet cut off in the first week, or with a huge bill.

Great idea on paper but not so good in real life. Couple major problems

1) What happens when either of your internet connection goes down?

2) ISPs are capping bandwidth at 300GB per month around here. You will easily exceed that and have your service shut off or have a HUGE bill.

3) Forget about high res or high frame rates.

A better option is to find a solution that will record locally and off load video on event or at specific times.

Great idea on paper but not so good in real life. Couple major problems

1) What happens when either of your internet connection goes down?

2) ISPs are capping bandwidth at 300GB per month around here. You will easily exceed that and have your service shut off or have a HUGE bill.

3) Forget about high res or high frame rates.

A better option is to find a solution that will record locally and off load video on event or at specific times.

We don't have any cap here, nor are we charged extra for bandwith used over XX gb in Denmark.

The internet going down is a issue, but our Internet is generally very stable.

I'm a bit curious about 3) - So a Megapixel camera would be useless?

Hopefully the camera wont record 24/7, but only when it detects motion. Worse case scenario is that it doesn't look like I want it or record as I want it, which forces me to move the Pc to site itself?

If you're using all IP cameras anyway, why not use a small NVR, like a QNAP or Synology, and hide it away somewhere, like in a closet or attic?

If you're using all IP cameras anyway, why not use a small NVR, like a QNAP or Synology, and hide it away somewhere, like in a closet or attic?

Of all the Qnap and Synology boxes I've been able to find, most only support 4 or 8 camera's total(At least that's what I think it means), and for the price of them I'd think one could easily build a PC system themselves that's a lot "stronger" and more scalable? Or am I missing something crucial?

The Camera's

Auch.. that's not good Well.. a local NVR/PC is must be then - I was thinking of getting the above mentioned Vivotek's - Can anyone suggest something better in the same pricerange/task?

Day and night recording - Light will be limited at night.

PoE

IP-Kamera, good resolution is paramount(Need to indentify people).

2xOutside - 1xcovering a 30m entrance to our building(Vivotek 8361) 1xCovering the PowerKabel(Vivotek FD8134V)

2xInside - Covering our general area(FD8134)

The NVR/PC

NVR or PC? What software with the PC? Would a old P4, 2,8 ghz, 1,5 gb ram be able to handle 4 camera's?

Of all the Qnap and Synology boxes I've been able to find, most only support 4 or 8 camera's total(At least that's what I think it means), and for the price of them I'd think one could easily build a PC system themselves that's a lot "stronger" and more scalable? Or am I missing something crucial?

"The price of them" includes the software licenses that you'll be paying extra for if you build your own - anywhere from $50 to $500/camera, depending on the NVR package. There's also the compact size and things like hot-swappable drive bays, which would cost more to implement in a PC - not a dealbreaker, but can be very handy.

Make sure you're comparing the proper systems, BTW - QNAP makes generic NAS units with some limited camera support, and dedicated NVR systems that support many more cameras without the same "media server" functionality - http://qnapsecurity.com/

True Soundy, but let me ask have you had any hands on experience with Qnap's? How hard is the setup and so forth? What about the recording speed and so forth?

The Qnap are very nice, small, and handy and as you say I'll be free of the software license and it'll most likely run longer on any UPS compared to a system I build.

I don't have direct experience with QNAP's NVR systems, but I have used their NAS boxes extensively (anywhere from the 4-bay towers to the 8-bay rack units). Setup in those is very simple and straightforward and largely wizard-driven.

They have a demo system linkable from their website; if memory serves, it lets you play with the basic interface, and you can request admin access to check out the configuration options.

I'll be free of the software license and it'll most likely run longer on any UPS compared to a system I build.

the cost of any software licence is probably just integrated into the total cost, or is it that cheap?

I'll be free of the software license and it'll most likely run longer on any UPS compared to a system I build.

the cost of any software licence is probably just integrated into the total cost, or is it that cheap?

Like I said, "'The price of them' includes the software licenses that you'll be paying extra for if you build your own".

Like I said, "'The price of them' includes the software licenses that you'll be paying extra for if you build your own".

Tru dat soljah

I've taken a look at the VioStor VS-2008L, which'll probably be the one I go, yet I stumbled upon Milestone Xprotect Go.

Up to 8 cameras, yet it only keeps recordings for 5 days(Not too bad for me tbh) - And it's free! Gotta test it out a bit more to see if it still can give the sms notifications and remote site backup and so on but if so then yay! If not, well Qnas it'll most likely be

yet I stumbled upon Milestone Xprotect Go.

i installed that on my pc just to test .. need a fast computer just for the GUI .. so no celerons, p4s, or atoms, meaning higher power consumption than the units Soundy suggested.