MaXX99

Linux based DVR hard- and sotftware recommendations

Hi all ...

In the new office buildings is a very old and dusty Bosh DVR which I would like to replace with a software based solution on a Linux server which is also hosting my PBX (Intel i3 2100T, CentOS & Elastix). Since that system is always on and has ample CPU power, it would be suited to also fit the DVR on there.

I would hook up 6 wired fixed analog camera's on there, though it is possible I might add IP and PTZ camera's over time.

What software would you recommend on Linux ? I know zoneminder exists, but that is starting to age and I imagine there are far better commercial alternatives. Web access for live streaming is essential. Android based monitoring would be a nice to have.

And what hardware would you recommend to go with that software ? I prefer hardware based H.264 encoding.

Or ... would you rather advice for a hardware based 'hybrid' PVR ? That would need to be able to backup to a remote NAS.

Since I am based in Europe, it would be nice to find your offerings over on the old continent ...

Please advice ..

MaXX

Hi all ...

In the new office buildings is a very old and dusty Bosh DVR which I would like to replace with a software based solution on a Linux server which is also hosting my PBX (Intel i3 2100T, CentOS & Elastix). Since that system is always on and has ample CPU power, it would be suited to also fit the DVR on there.

I would hook up 6 wired fixed analog camera's on there, though it is possible I might add IP and PTZ camera's over time.

What software would you recommend on Linux ? I know zoneminder exists, but that is starting to age and I imagine there are far better commercial alternatives. Web access for live streaming is essential. Android based monitoring would be a nice to have.

And what hardware would you recommend to go with that software ? I prefer hardware based H.264 encoding.

Or ... would you rather advice for a hardware based 'hybrid' PVR ? That would need to be able to backup to a remote NAS.

Since I am based in Europe, it would be nice to find your offerings over on the old continent ...

Please advice ..

MaXX

Hi maxx. if you are using your existing cameras then one way to go is hybrid. most will have options for NAS backup.

since you are in europe then take a look at the aver touch. hardware Compression

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?Id=263

Hi all ...

If you want to do some of your own work, then you can try Motion as an alternative to ZoneMinder: http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/ - it is pretty bare bone though and you need to install the web interface separately.

We at Xanview carry a commercial product loosely based on Motion, there is a live demo here (top right corner): http://xanview.co.uk

We generally build DVRs out of reliable server hardware, and offer a complete package where we deliver, install and maintain everything. If however you wish to use your existing hardware and cameras, we can offer a software license and support at $50 per camera and make recommendations as to what DVR cards are supported. You can contact us on the website if you are interested in more details.

To date, all the ones we tested worked like an old style DVR/VCR recorder, only allowing: playback, stop, rewind and jumping to a specific time and date. The ones that had motion detection, presented a long, practically unusable, list of times and dates and the motion detection was very unreliable.

By contrast, we are event driven from the ground up with a focus on being able to see hours/days in minutes.