sur-veil

BETTER DVR Card Suggestions for NEW Rack mount computer????

Hello,

Like many I began with some of the off eBay cards. But progressed into the better lines of DVR cards and software.

But my question is?

I just built a standalone DVR server. It is dual boot running XP Pro on one 160gig Boot drive and Vista 32 bit Ultimate on a second 500 gig boot. Being that 32 bit, (Both XP Pro and Vista), limit RAM utilization past 4 gig.

My first question is, Is there a good quality 16 channel 480 ftps card anyone would recommend that will run on a Vista Ulitmate 64 bit Platform?

If not, then I am back to the XP Pro or Vista 32 Bit. Would rather use the XP Pro partition and utilize the other Boot for a 64bit OS Boot.

I have two PCI slots onboard and two PCI-Express.

I am running:

Intel DP55KG Motherboard

I7 3ghz Intel Processor

4- gig in a 32 bit OS config and have 12 gig installed of DDR 3 at 1333 mhz

Radeon 5450 Graphics Card

160 Segate XP Pro Boot Drive

500 Seagte Vista Boot Drive

1.5 TB Seagate Drive for Image and Video Storage.

Any Suggestions, I would appreciate your input.

Hikvision 4216HFVI would work ok under Vista 64bit, 16ch 4CIF real time. You could also use 4016HCI (16ch 2CIF real time) and 4016HSI (16ch CIF real time), or even mix some different model cards on the same computer (like 4208HFCI+4008HSI for 8ch 4CIF real time and 8ch CIF real time).

You could use Hikvision free software iVMS2000, or use other programs like Netvision, Unisight, etc.

Why are you dual-booting your DVR in the first place? A security system will typically be running 24/7 anyway. Rarely will a DVR need more than 4GB, either - 3-4GB, XP Pro, and just be done with it.

I would say also get a DVR card that can also do IP cameras for the future... Avermedia PCIe cards come to mind..

IP cameras don't require a DVR card...

I was thinking that too. I think what he means though is get a DVR card which carries a few IP licenses inbuilt as that Avermedia one apparently does (well froma cursory look at it)