jrem

Setting up PC system - IP or analog?

I'd like to setup a simple system, 4 cameras with recording capabilities. I've done a little research I've found there are two options for cameras, IP and analog. This is the info I've gathered, please correct me if I'm wrong! With analog cameras I would need to run video and power wires to each camera and feed them back into a DVR card installed on the PC. With IP I can run an ethernet(with power over ethernet) cable to each camera and feed them back into a network switch/router and then connect the PC to the network to access the cameras and a separate DVR card is NOT needed for the IP cameras.

Both systems would require software(same software?) to interact/record the video from the cameras. Certain IP cameras can support pan/zoom/tilt on the fly through the software where analog can't? Certain IP cameras have much better resolution but can cost more? To get PoE is a special switch required?

If anyone can answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. It looks like going the IP route would cost more but offer better quality video... I'm looking to spend about ~$200 on each camera if it means I can get very good quality video. Can anyone recommend specific software that they use to interface with these cameras? I've looked at Geovision and Avermedia but can't seem to find any prices or anything but would ~$200 cover that cost? With IP cameras, all that is needed is the PC and software correct?

I'd like to setup a simple system, 4 cameras with recording capabilities. I've done a little research I've found there are two options for cameras, IP and analog. This is the info I've gathered, please correct me if I'm wrong! With analog cameras I would need to run video and power wires to each camera and feed them back into a DVR card installed on the PC. With IP I can run an ethernet(with power over ethernet) cable to each camera and feed them back into a network switch/router and then connect the PC to the network to access the cameras and a separate DVR card is NOT needed for the IP cameras.

You've pretty much nailed it!

Both systems would require software(same software?) to interact/record the video from the cameras.

Sometimes the same software can be used for both. Several packages are designed for "hybrid" operation of both IP cameras and analog capture card... naturally this software can do either/or, as well as both.

Certain IP cameras can support pan/zoom/tilt on the fly through the software where analog can't?

It depends. Some IP cameras allow digital PTZ internally, streaming the affected output as primary or a secondary stream. Some DVR packages will also allow you to PTZ with analog AND IP cameras, recording the full image while showing you just the zoomed portion.

Certain IP cameras have much better resolution but can cost more?

IN GENERAL, yes. Analog video is limited by the video standards they use - 525 lines of vertical resolution for NTSC, 625 lines for PAL; analog DVRs typically max out at around 720x480 resolution (some only go to 640x480).

Once you're streaming digitized video, you're not limited by the analog transmission standard, so there's theoretically no limit on resolution (except network bandwidth, and realistically, cost of the camera). There are currently network cameras available up to 16 megapixels (4872 x 3248 pixels).

GENERALLY you'll pay more for this, but there is quite a wide price range. There's also a wide price range with analog cameras, depending on features, options, and various performance characteristics, and there are some analog cameras that cost significantly more than several megapixel cameras.

To get PoE is a special switch required?

No - you can use individual PoE "injectors" as well, that plug into the network cable in-line with the camera. But generally, a PoE-capable switch is more convenient and cost-effective if you're using more than a couple cameras.

Note that MOST (not all) IP cameras can also be powered separately, usually with 12VDC and/or 24VAC (or 24VDC in a very few cases), so it does provide another option.

If anyone can answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. It looks like going the IP route would cost more but offer better quality video...

It's a trade-off. Keep in mind that while you're paying more for the camera, you don't have to buy the video capture hardware, so you're saving some there.

Some IP systems charge a per-camera license, but several IP camera manufacturers also bundle NVR software with their cameras, that will work for free with their cameras.

I'm looking to spend about ~$200 on each camera if it means I can get very good quality video. Can anyone recommend specific software that they use to interface with these cameras? I've looked at Geovision and Avermedia but can't seem to find any prices or anything but would ~$200 cover that cost? With IP cameras, all that is needed is the PC and software correct?

Correct.

GeoVision is one that does not charge an extra license fee to use GeoVision-branded cameras with it. There is a per-camera license cost for other cameras, though. Couldn't tell you what any of the prices are...