quick_pick

Is elmo ptc-100s a day/night camera?

Does the elmo ptc-100s have the features that qualify it as a day/night camera?

Would it "see" ir if i used an illuminator?

Also, i think it is made to be hung upside down

Would it not being upside down effect the use of the ptz?

Thanks in advance

From what I can find, no, it does not appear to be a day/night camera.

As for what qualifies a camera as "day/night"...

Image sensors are generally sensitive to IR light, but with color sensors, in regular daylight, that will cause problems with exposure and color balance... so color cameras will usually put an IR-cut filter in front of the sensor to block the IR. B&W cameras don't usually have the filter, so they work better in low light by capturing that additional part of the light spectrum.

"Day/night" typically means a camera that will switch to B&W at night, and color in the day. In cheaper cameras, they simply eliminate the cut filter, and process the image electronically to correct the color balance when it's in color mode.

"TRUE day/night" cameras actually have a movable cut filter in front of the sensor - in color mode, the filter is in place; in B&W mode, the filter moves out of the way.

The specs on this camera don't indicate it will do either.

Chances are, it DOES have the fixed cut filter, so you'd see little or no benefit from an IR illuminator.

Some PTZs have an option to invert the image and controls for "upside-down" operation (relative to whatever their default orientation is). Worst case, if it doesn't, your image would be inverted, and the controls would work backward (moving left would pan the camera right, moving up would tilt the camera down, and so on).

The 750 dollar camera that ups will deliver on Friday won't much do me any good if it will not "see" ir.

Is it possible to trade the camera with some 1 on this forum for one that is a "true" day/night camera?

The 750 dollar camera that ups will deliver on Friday won't much do me any good if it will not "see" ir.

Maybe that's something you should have checked BEFORE purchase?

Is it possible to trade the camera with some 1 on this forum for one that is a "true" day/night camera?

I doubt it - frankly, it seems rather overpriced for what its spec sheet says it is.