Hal

Recommended Cameras for Retail Store

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for some time and I'd like to get some suggestions before I really get into upgrading my current retail indoor surveillance system setup.

We currently have a four camera standalone dvr setup that's about 6 years old, standard resolution. The cameras are pretty basic dome cameras, fixed lenses, color only, no ir. I plan to add 4 additional high resolution dome cameras as well upgrading to a better DVR and larger power distribution supply.

Can I get some recommendations on best value high resolution dome cameras which will meet my needs? It seems like the CNBs are highly regarded here and I may go with something like the CNB DBM-24VD, but perhaps are other choices?

My current criteria - high resolution, vari-focal, ability to be adjusted from the dvr (not sure if that is the same as OSD), reliable manufacturer, picture quality.

I believe I don't need - Color/BW or IR since there are some 24 hour lights at the store. Of course, a better low light illumination spec would be helpful. I also don't need vandal resistance.

I'm sure there are other important specs that I'm overlooking, but hopefully this is enough info to get some suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

The CNB Mona Lisa models are great - can't go wrong the 24VF line for a good all-around 600TVL, true day/night camera with a very versatile 2.8-10.5mm varifocal lens. The DBM is a non-vandal-resistant version, which should be fine for indoor use. Keep in mind the VD variant uses a fixed lens; go to the VF model and get the varifocal lens to give you more room to fine-tune the field-of-view to your needs.

For the ability to adjust settings from the DVR, you'd need RS-485 support in the camera - CNB lists it as an option, but AFAIK it's not currently available. However, this is of limited use in most instances - it will let you adjust the camera settings like exposure control, backlight compensation, mirror image, and so on (things that once they're set, you won't usually be needing to change), but not move the lens or change the zoom. For that you need a PTZ camera, at substantially more cost.

Thanks Soundy for the helpful advice (and all your other advice to other posters).

The CNBs are definitely on the list, but since I know I'll have trouble adjusting the output, the ability to do those things from the DVR will come in handy. The domes will be on a pretty high drop ceiling so the less times I have to access them directly, the better. Oh, and I won't need PTZ on these domes.

Perhaps there are other alternatives?

Thanks.

There really should be little adjustment necessary... rarely anything that can't be done during initial installation. What do you expect to have to do?

Perhaps I'm erring on the side of caution, but I played around with some of those parameters (white balance, exposure, gamma, etc) with our current system after it was set up. It's because one wall of the store is entirely glass (south facing), so we had issues with different light levels at different times. Maybe this isn't an issue with the better cameras?

Shouldn't be an issue. One of the biggest limitations of your cheap cameras in this situation is probably the lack of auto-iris lens; with AI, the camera has a lot more latitude in adjusting to varying light levels.

Of course, proper position is a big part of it as well - cameras facing the glass will have all sorts of backlight issues and unless you want to sit and change the camera settings twice a day, you're not going to handle it without a very expensive camera (like the Panasonic SuperDynamic models - retailing at around $800-$1000 each). Instead, putting the cameras above the window looking in will not just avoid backlighting problems, it will allow their picture to benefit from any light coming in the window.

Realistically, most of the time, these camera settings are something you'll adjust MAYBE two times after initial setup... after that, you'll probably never find the need to touch them again. Do the initial setup under the most extreme conditions you expect, let them run a couple days, look back at the recordings, see how it handles things... and if necessary, go up and adjust them once.

Of course, you could also go with IP cameras, which can be adjusted through their web interface... but that will cost a lot more too.

Hello

I read your Post. In your post you mention different types of cameras. These cameras are good but my suggestion is you use following security cameras for your Retail Store.

4 Camera System

4indoor cameras, 480 TVL,

4 channel stand alone DVR with 500 GB hard drive

17” LCD monitor, power distributor, coax power cable

Up to 6 hours labor

One year warranty on parts and labor -$1,999

8 Camera System

8 cameras (2out-door/6 indoor), 480 TVL

8 channel stand alone DVR with 1000 GB hard drive

17” LCD monitor, power distributor, coax power cable

Up to 8 hours labor

One year warranty on parts and labor - $2,999

That's amusing - you say "these cameras are good but my suggestion is you use following security cameras" and then don't list any specific cameras or any USEFUL details about them.

Unsuccessful spammer is unsuccessful.

Hal, it sounds to me like you are on the right path. However you said you have “some” lights on 24 hours a day in your store. I can assure you with partial retail lighting the cameras will run out of light pretty quick. You will find there are many places were all you will see is a dark silhouette. I have the specs here for the 24VD camera you were thinking about and the best version the 24VF. The true day night really increases the sensitivity of the camera, for a cost penalty of $30.

CNB DBM-24VF 1/3" 600TVL Indoor, true day/night, DC Iris, M13 2.8-10.5mm, .005 lux

CNB DBM-24VD 1/3" 600TVL Indoor, fixed IR cut filter, DC Iris M13 2.8-10.5mm .05 lux

With that said even the best camera is not magic, Soundy had touched upon camera placement with that large window as a problem in the day time. Well at night your problems will be low light and probably the biggest problem is conflicting placement of cameras from daytime to nighttime with only a few lights. You may find you camera placed above the window is looking directly in to the glare of a night light. In the end you may have to rearrange your night lights to give you optimum visibility.

The remote 485 option is a tough decision, it can double or triple your dome camera cost. I can say from experience though most of your time up on the ladder will be getting the view and focus just right and if you have the high ceilings it will be a tough job to get it right. Tiny little monitors you can take up the ladder will not give you the complete field of view or let you do a fine focus. You may have to take up a walkie talkie and have someone watch the monitor and tell you how to adjust the image.

If you do have your heart set on a 485 option you could look at box cameras, they seem to offer 485 at a much lower price point than domes.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think the best thing to do would be to just try out the CNB DBM-24VF. I can probably use the same connections as one of the current cameras and I'll bypass the DVR to check out the image quality.

Does anyone have suggestions on a reputable place to order one of these? I've read of some issues with one of the larger online retailers. Anybody ever order from dvrmart?

Thanks.

Im distancing myself from the CNB cameras now after my last job using them (other than maybe the dfl-20s), they just dont seem to have the quality. In fact they look gawd awful on some DVRs, while other cameras, even cheap no name ones, do a better job. They do have the low light capability that many others dont, but the daytime color images tend to be mostly bad.

Why not tell us how you really feel?

its ok rory the spammer was deleted so i deleted my post.

i think alot of people are looking for other than CNB. the price is starting to be a problem. we are abit lucky in the uk as CNB cameras are never on the likes of ebay.co.uk as the distributor has them removed.

CNB has to off load out of date stock . and they seem to be doing this though the US distributors. but they do need to control the new cameras and protect there prices.

i will pm you rory with another camera that is cheaper than CNB well worth you getting a demo.

Why not tell us how you really feel?

its ok rory the spammer was deleted so i deleted my post.

i think alot of people are looking for other than CNB. the price is starting to be a problem. we are abit lucky in the uk as CNB cameras are never on the likes of ebay.co.uk as the distributor has them removed.

CNB has to off load out of date stock . and they seem to be doing this though the US distributors. but they do need to control the new cameras and protect there prices.

i will pm you rory with another camera that is cheaper than CNB well worth you getting a demo.

PM me too, I'm interested in your new fav