Bmonaweck02

Need ideas for new security cameras

I have been looking at bullet cameras with 50 to 100 ft of night vision, but lately have been thinking of possibilities of cameras that auto zoom and rotate when it detects motion. I don't know very much about that kind of system or the expense of a system like that. I don't know if this requires a certain DVR or what. I don't know if this is going to be over my head. If you could give me some advice on how this type of system would work or if you have suggestions on cameras like this or dvr's that support that would be great. If you know anything about this, the advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Bmonaweck02

There are different ways to achieve motion-tracking PTZ. Some cameras do it internally; some use external hardware or software to detect movement and then control the camera.

Realistically, in most cases, it's little more than a gimmick. The camera won't be able to track multiple different objects, and until you get into more advanced video analytics, the camera has no way of knowing what moving object(s) to track. You could have a person moving one way, the camera tracking it, then it could latch onto a bird moving the other way and track that instead.

And ultimately, it won't be cheap. You're looking at anywhere from $1000-$4000 for a *good* PTZ to begin with, nevermind adding the tracking capability.

Ok so what I am getting from this is that it would be better to go with two bullet or dome cameras on a corner of a building instead of one auto tracking ptz camera? Better not just economically but also because our shop has a lot of birds. And I mean a lot; we are shooting them because there are so many of them.

Thanks a lot the advice was well needed!

Thanks

-Bmonaweck