cglaeser

Avigilon JPEG2000 70 dB dynamic range

An Avigilon rep came to my house today to show me several cameras and demo the NVR application. I was originally interested in the new H.264 cameras, and remain interested in those, they are sweet, but I was really impressed with some of the 5MP JPEG2000 samples. The 14 bits per color channel and 70 dB of dynamic range is impressive. Several of the samples had wide dynamic range with bright and dark areas, and when looking at the full image, you could not see any detail in the dark areas, because the monitor does not display 14 bits per channel. However, when you zoom in to the dark region, all the detail is pulled out. Very impressive!

Best,

Christopher

FYI it does that with any camera not just the JPEG2000.

Finally, software that can make a $39 camera show all that detail they normally miss.

Are you becoming a dealer/installer now?

It's starting to feel that way. Two weeks ago there was an attempted home burglary in the neighborhood. The police department is familiar with my security systems, and four minutes after arriving on scene, they came to my house to see what I got. I did not get license plates (that's my next project), but I got excellent daytime MP images of the two vehicles involved. Since then, eight neighbors have asked me to recommend a camera system. When I explain these are not Costco cameras with Costco prices, they say, not a problem.

My current system is fine, but cameras are better and cheaper now. No surprise, I really like Avigilon, so I'll likely recommend those. I need to test it first, and Avigilon is going to give me a loaner.

Two quick questions.

- What is required to move Avigilon licenses to a new system?

- How many licenses are required for a 4 port Avigilon video encoder?

Best,

Christopher

- What is required to move Avigilon licenses to a new system?

- How many licenses are required for a 4 port Avigilon video encoder?

To move Lic u have to call tech support

4 port encoder = 1 Lic

The Avigilon mobile app should be out the end of this month.

Regarding the Avigilon server, any word yet on whether scheduling will be included in the standard (non enterprise) sever in the next release?

Best,

Christopher

FYI it does that with any camera not just the JPEG2000.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. I was referring to the extra bits that are encoded in the JPEG2000 images.

Best,

Christopher