Sign in to follow this  
adas

Newbee setting up a system

Aloha, all. I used to have a surveillance system a few years back that had cameras wired with vcr cable, a 110v for the power supply at each camera and a PCI card plugged into a computer that in turn was plugged into a router and then modem that i viewed from another location. Standard stuff, and equipment is getting old and want to up grade.

Sooo, Looking to use a POE switch and IP cameras at each of the 2 office/warehouse locations.

DO I also need a computer at each location? Or can I just plug in the POE switch into a router then Modem and control it all from a remote site with software? Even assuming I need to initially setup each camera at the site with a computer, can I get away with just camera, POE, Router/Modem?

thanks

Francis

You can run it via the net to a remote site, however you need to make sure you have enough of a pipe to the web if you plan on recording remotely as well.

I am sure some more knowledgable folk will chime in as well.

-Eric

Hi, plugging it into a spare network/router port is fine, but what about recording the footage? Would you be recording to an offsite location?

Also, might help to state what kind of network infrastructure is in place on your two sites atm and are the inter-connected in any kind of way over a link or are they separate?